A question about Peltier coolers

The Transporter 15:54 31 Aug 2003

Hi all

In the October issue of PC Extreme. There is an article about peltiers and a quick installation guide etc. It talks about having to "encase" the cpu from the outside elements so condensation can not form etc. This is due to ambient air temps' being higher than the peltier surface touching the cpu die. So it is sealed with silicon sealent and foam kits from Dangerden.

click here

But

I am now a bit unsure because at this site

click here

click here

It talks about installing it and so on but has no mention about having to encase the peltier unit and cpu like in the article in the magazine. Is this because it is a low wattage peltier so it will not go to very low temperaturess or is it something else.

I am not thinking of doing this mod yet, am just interested in information about it while i research it.

:-)

mrdsgs 16:31 31 Aug 2003

click here

everything you could possibly want to know about "extreme" cooling is available on these forums.

-pops- 17:18 31 Aug 2003

Peltier coolers get very hot and you have to remove this heat somehow (fan maybe - then you might as well have used the fan in the first place and cut out the middleman).

I remember using peltier coolers with and without heat pipes in research in the 1960's and 70's. They work, yes, but do you really need all this complexity and cost when you can achieve the same thing by simpler means.

Note also that CPUs are not very efficient if they are too cold.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?