Putting 2nd HD into new PC as C:

Heefie 17:04 02 Jul 2003

I have a PC with 2 Hard Drives, running Partition Magic; drive 1 contains C: & G: , drive 2 contains F: (D: & E: are CD drives)

I am putting a 2nd PC together and want to take the 2nd drive from here and use it as C: in the new machine.

I know I can just put it into the new machine, format it and install Windows, but can I install Windows on to it NOW so that when the new box arrives I can just put it in and turn it on & Windows will boot up ?!?!?!? Will it not still be drive F: and there will be no drive C: ?!?!? Will I have to install Partition Magic onto it ?!?!

Any help, better ideas or other (non-rude g> !!!) suggestions much appreciated ...

smegs 17:51 02 Jul 2003

Heefie. If U put a second Hd in2 a Pc, that Pc sorts out the LETTERS. U don't have to worry about the new Pc, it will pick the Hd drive up as C:\. U can put Windows on the Hd, but when Ur new case turns up, U will have to install all the DRIVERS 4 that PC. Good luck.

Heefie 18:40 03 Jul 2003

Yeah, somebody else said that to me about the drivers today, I might just wait until the box arrives and load it up from scratch ... but oh God, the boring hours of downloading Win2K upgrades and patches on a 56K modem :-( !!!!!

Thanks anyway smegs ...

Rtus 19:09 03 Jul 2003

Thats my Thoughs too ßé£â..

Heefie. Much better to start afresh ( fdisk and install New O/S )Then you havent got all the debris from your old units drivers and hardware causing Bother..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?