Purchase of External Hard Drive

malc197 16:08 14 Mar 2019
Answered

Hi, I am trying to Purchase an external hard drive (either 500MB or 1TB), that works with Windows XP, I appreciate Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP. This is for work files as I am retiring, I need to read my files using Windows XP from home for occasional work. Could anybody recommend a product. Thankyou Malcolm

wee eddie 16:35 14 Mar 2019

Stating the bloody obvious. I assume that the PC you will be using is USB1.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 14 Mar 2019

USB is backwards compatible therefore a USB3 drive should work in a USB1 port.

The problem is power, a USB3 port can give 900mA but only a max of 500mA is avaiable at a USB 1- port. this could mean that the port would not supply enough power to run a USB portable drive, therefore you should look at either using a powered hub or an external drive with its own power supply.

click here this would work OK

Aitchbee 19:36 14 Mar 2019

As long as your XP machine has been upgraded to Service Pack 3 then this one from Argos should be OK. (I bought one recently)

It comes pre-formatted with the exFat file system, so it will work with W7 and W10 as well.

click here

Kevin Alders 21:11 14 Mar 2019

Personally I just purchase a USB Enclosure such as the Orico 2.5 USB3.0 External HDD Enclosure and pop in any HDD which I seem fit. Works on all devices including my Oppo 203 4k Player.

1]: [click here 2]: [click here

malc197 21:28 14 Mar 2019

Thankyou very much for your replies, they are very helpful. Malcolm

wee eddie 22:28 14 Mar 2019
Answer

What quantity of data do you wish to take with you. Maybe a couple of pen drives would be sufficient

malc197 15:53 15 Mar 2019

l wouldn't need anymore than around 500MB

wee eddie 16:30 15 Mar 2019

That is a vast amount of information

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?