Public IP static at modem but dynamic at router?!

Teo Kitanovski 12:43 28 Apr 2018

So a few days ago I came up with the idea of hosting my own web server for my files. I've installed everything on my computer, but, while looking for my IP address, I noticed something strange: all the sites for checking IP had different answers. After some testing, I noticed that when I connect my PC directly to my (Motorola SB501) modem, there is only one IP told by all the sites, but when connecting to my (Tenda 11N) wifi router, the issue persists. Therefore, I believe this is not an issue with DHCP/Static IP, as the IP is static when connected to the modem, but I believe there is something with the router or its configs. And by the way, resetting the router to factory settings did not help!

Jollyjohn 12:57 28 Apr 2018

Give your router a static IP address. Link to info on Tenda router click here

Teo Kitanovski 23:26 28 Apr 2018

Give your router a static IP address. Link to info on Tenda router click here

Which static IP should I write?

Teo Kitanovski 23:35 28 Apr 2018

Update:

Ok, so I tried using a static IP at the router (with the settings it suggested), but the issue persists! Any ideas? Also, setting the IP I got when connecting to the modem didn't work...

Jollyjohn 07:47 29 Apr 2018

I would set the IP address as one up from the modem - so if modem is 192.168.1.1 set router to 192.168.1.2 - reboot PC ans it should then be assigned 192.168.1.3

Also check only one device has DHCP enabled.

Secret-Squirrel 08:52 29 Apr 2018

..........so if modem is 192.168.1.1............

John, a modem provides the connected device with a direct connection to the Internet. It doesn't have a private IP address so there's nothing to set.

............but, while looking for my IP address, I noticed something strange: all the sites for checking IP had different answers.

Teo, that doesn't make much sense. Are you getting confused with public and private IP addresses? What are these sites that you're using?

mrcalif 09:14 29 Apr 2018

From memory all Motorola Surfboard Cable modems have a Diagnostic Page accessible by typing 191.168.100.1 However this is not going to help the OP’s problem.

Jollyjohn 15:11 29 Apr 2018

SS - the op has a router - that's what I am suggesting he sets as a static up, not the modem.

Teo Kitanovski 17:10 29 Apr 2018

Again, I'm talking about public IPs (the private is OK). And no, I did not mix them up; the last 3 digits of my public IP are different on different sites, and sometimes even after a refresh!

mrcalif 06:09 30 Apr 2018

I did not mix them up; the last 3 digits of my public IP are different on different sites, and sometimes even after a refresh!

And which three sites are these?

Secret-Squirrel 08:51 30 Apr 2018

And which three sites are these?

On another forum, the OP mentioned "google, whatismyip.com, iplocation.net etc". I can't work out what's going on and no one has been able to offer an explanation.

Teo, are you saying that if you open three browser tabs and check your public IP address using each of those sites you get different results?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Frida Kahlo's life, art and legacy explored in Google's new giant online collection and app

Best Android emulators for Mac

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?