Public IP static at modem but dynamic at router?!

Teo Kitanovski 12:43 28 Apr 2018

So a few days ago I came up with the idea of hosting my own web server for my files. I've installed everything on my computer, but, while looking for my IP address, I noticed something strange: all the sites for checking IP had different answers. After some testing, I noticed that when I connect my PC directly to my (Motorola SB501) modem, there is only one IP told by all the sites, but when connecting to my (Tenda 11N) wifi router, the issue persists. Therefore, I believe this is not an issue with DHCP/Static IP, as the IP is static when connected to the modem, but I believe there is something with the router or its configs. And by the way, resetting the router to factory settings did not help!

Jollyjohn 12:57 28 Apr 2018

Give your router a static IP address. Link to info on Tenda router click here

Teo Kitanovski 23:26 28 Apr 2018

Give your router a static IP address. Link to info on Tenda router click here

Which static IP should I write?

Teo Kitanovski 23:35 28 Apr 2018

Update:

Ok, so I tried using a static IP at the router (with the settings it suggested), but the issue persists! Any ideas? Also, setting the IP I got when connecting to the modem didn't work...

Jollyjohn 07:47 29 Apr 2018

I would set the IP address as one up from the modem - so if modem is 192.168.1.1 set router to 192.168.1.2 - reboot PC ans it should then be assigned 192.168.1.3

Also check only one device has DHCP enabled.

Secret-Squirrel 08:52 29 Apr 2018

..........so if modem is 192.168.1.1............

John, a modem provides the connected device with a direct connection to the Internet. It doesn't have a private IP address so there's nothing to set.

............but, while looking for my IP address, I noticed something strange: all the sites for checking IP had different answers.

Teo, that doesn't make much sense. Are you getting confused with public and private IP addresses? What are these sites that you're using?

Jollyjohn 15:11 29 Apr 2018

SS - the op has a router - that's what I am suggesting he sets as a static up, not the modem.

Teo Kitanovski 17:10 29 Apr 2018

Again, I'm talking about public IPs (the private is OK). And no, I did not mix them up; the last 3 digits of my public IP are different on different sites, and sometimes even after a refresh!

Secret-Squirrel 08:51 30 Apr 2018

And which three sites are these?

On another forum, the OP mentioned "google, whatismyip.com, iplocation.net etc". I can't work out what's going on and no one has been able to offer an explanation.

Teo, are you saying that if you open three browser tabs and check your public IP address using each of those sites you get different results?

Teo Kitanovski 16:25 30 Apr 2018

>

And which three sites are these?

On another forum, the OP mentioned "google, whatismyip.com, iplocation.net etc". I can't work out what's going on and no one has been able to offer an explanation.

Teo, are you saying that if you open three browser tabs and check your public IP address using each of those sites you get different results?

Yes

LastChip 17:08 30 Apr 2018

Your modem router has two ip addresses. One is your internal connection to the router and can normally be set by you. This is known as the LAN address (Local Area Network).

The other is the address by which the outside world sees you (the WAN - Wide Area Network) and is dictated by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Unless you have specific arrangements in place, the ISP address is normally dynamic, meaning every time you connect to the Internet, your ISP will allocate an address from as pool of addresses that it has. That is probably why your address is changing, as it's pot luck what is allocated to you.

You can still set up a server in a mickey mouse sort of way by using dynamic addressing in your router. But it wouldn't really be a practical solution for a busy web site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)