PSU issue

corbsta 13:53 27 Sep 2008

Sorry if this has been repeated before, but i have a mesh computer that i've had for 6 years and its stopped working, all lights come on inside but the psu doesnt seem to be working, i know this because it went off with a bit of a bang and had a tiny cloud of smoke coming from it. I've looked online and found that that particular model doesn't exist anymore, is there a model that anyone could recommend me purchasing to replace it.

The model that is broken is HPC-360-202,

click here .

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:03 27 Sep 2008

Replacement click here

corbsta 14:06 27 Sep 2008

Do you know where i can get it in the uk??? A model that is similar in that can be purchased in the uk?

MarvintheAndroid 14:14 27 Sep 2008

Any standard ATX power supply should do what you need, they are modular. Better quality ones are quieter and more stable, but these days perfectly acceptable units can be purchased for under £20.

Take a look at click here

Marv

corbsta 14:18 27 Sep 2008

thank you for your help am a bit new to all this, this is the first time i've actually had to try and fix my computer, so i am still getting used to working out what i need to buy. And if it's compatable with my old computer etc.

MarvintheAndroid 14:46 27 Sep 2008

Swapping out a power supply is one of the simpler jobs and a good one to start out with. In general, the plugs are "keyed" so they will only fit the sockets they are designed for, so it's quite hard to get it wrong. Go for it.

Marv

corbsta 14:49 27 Sep 2008

thats good to know that i cant' get it wrong...will definately give it a go. thank you for your help :o)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:22 27 Sep 2008

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.
3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

3. Correct connections
Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin
There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs
Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives
SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

MarvintheAndroid 18:55 01 Oct 2008

Your old HPC-360-202 PSU is listed as ATX compliant, so the new one suggested should fit perfectly. As to the 24 pin connector, it will have a 20+4 pin connector which will fit both 20 pin sockets and 24 pin sockets, so no need to worry on that score.

The new PSU suggested also has 6 molex connectors for your HDD/CD/DVD drives which if anything is erring on the side of abundance, and 450W is ample to replace a 360W unit.

The only thing missing will be the 6 pin Aux connector, but I have never seen one used. If you need one then we will need to think again. Also be aware that it may or may not have a floppy drive power connector, but it is easy to get molex adapters for these.

Really, don't worry about it.

Marv

corbsta 19:25 01 Oct 2008

Thank you for your advice. Is it worth getting the one you suggested or the upgraded version of my old model, click here

citadel 19:33 01 Oct 2008

be aware that the psu could have damaged the motherboard or components when it blew, hopefully all will be ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?