PS3 Connection Problems (NO SOUND!)

hannybo 09:45 14 Feb 2008

I have an LG tv and a PS3. The PS3 is a US Console and my tv has no HDMI port so I have hooked it up using an HDMI / DVI-D converter lead. I have a picture and I have even managed to get the console online to update the software so it accepts PS2 games. However, there is no sound.
I think I need an optical audio cable??
Please can someone help me??? This is urgent as my daughter is having a karaoke birthday party on Saturday and needs to have sound from Singstar.....
HELP
Thanks

BRYNIT 10:18 14 Feb 2008

DVI-D is just for the digital video click here you will not get sound this way. I don't have a PS3 so can not advice on this but looking through the instruct on the manufacturers web site show different ways on connecting the PS3 to your TV.

johnnyrocker 10:29 14 Feb 2008

most pieces of equipment come with phono audio output ie red and white, is there such a thing on this machine?

johnny.

hannybo 10:34 14 Feb 2008

I have a Scart cable that links from the TV to the PS3 and also has the red and white cables on it - I tried plugging this into the television but there was still no sound????
Is this the wrong cable?
Thanks

johnnyrocker 10:37 14 Feb 2008

it could be a one way lead, try reversin it?

johnny

johnnyrocker 10:39 14 Feb 2008

click here maybe more use

johnny

hannybo 10:43 14 Feb 2008

I can't - it has different sockets at each end....?
It's this
click here

johnnyrocker 10:46 14 Feb 2008

right then the audio leads must be connected wrong ( red/white )

johnny

hannybo 10:49 14 Feb 2008

How do you mean? Sorry if I'm missing something (not overly technical) but am I supposed to be connected them somewhere other than into the TV?

johnnyrocker 10:50 14 Feb 2008

no, what make of tv is in use?

johnny

hannybo 10:54 14 Feb 2008

It's an LG tv (not sure off the top of my head which model but is about a year old)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?