programmes still running at shutdown

corkball 11:07 05 Jan 2017

hello windows 7 home premium 32 bit whenever i shutdown a message flashes up to say that programmes are still running how to i find these programmmes to close them i am also having problems with defender update which stops and says cannot continue due to other programmes running error 0x80070652 i think both theses problems are linked and i would like advice to resolve the thank you

rdave13 11:29 05 Jan 2017

Before you shutdown, close your browsers then open task manager and see what programs are still running.

corkball 13:40 05 Jan 2017

thanks for the info re task manager which works with the shutdown but unfortuantely but has had no effect re windows defender which will not check for updates

corkball 13:41 05 Jan 2017

thanks for the info re task manager which works with the shutdown but unfortuantely but has had no effect re windows defender which will not check for updates

rdave13 14:10 05 Jan 2017

I don't know the programs that Windows can't stop to shutdown properly as you've not specified them. So at a guess I'd run the free version of Malwarebytes antimalware. Update it first and run a full scan. See what it finds and keep them in quarantine for now.

Open All settings, and in the search bar type troubleshoot in the dropdown menu select troubleshooting and in the window that opens select 'view all'. Let it load then find Windows Update double click and follow the prompts.

Reboot the computer (not shutdown).

MLA2000 14:21 05 Jan 2017

This shouldn't be affecting Windows Defender.

Try running rkill from click here This will pop up as a black box and run through some checks to rule out anything sinister blocking Windows Update.

When this completes try updating again. If defender still won't update should rule out malware (viruses).

If Rkill did not fix the problem, press start and type "services.msc". A window will pop up with a list, scroll down to find "Windows Installer". Right click the service and click either "start" or "restart". Do the same for "Windows Update". These services may stop straight after starting, but this simply resets them. Then try updating again by right clicking on Windows Defender and selecting "Run as Administrator".

If Rkill did unblock updates, click here to download Malwarebytes which should remove anything blocking Windows Defender.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures tablettes pour enfants