Programme Disk

roundhead123 10:50 20 Dec 2003

Can some one please tell me how I can open/recover my Office 2000 CD. I used it to install the program and for some downloaded updates - however, now it refuses to open, It tries to open as an audio CD and shows one track of 505 MBs. I then get windows media player telling me it doesn't recognise the format !
How can I restore it to being a data CD ?
I tried BadCopy but that won't work on it - all it found was the one track of 505 Mbs.
John

s3mt3x 11:41 20 Dec 2003

John, It sounds like the cd's completely messed up, if this is true, there are only two things you can do 1. Buy a cd repair kit and try that - 2. Replace the cd. Provided its a leagle copy - you could contact Microsoft for a replacement cd - as long as you still have the key. Alternatively you could borrow a cd or download one etc and then use your existing licence key to activate it.

Gongoozler 11:49 20 Dec 2003

It could also be the cd drive at fault. I recently upgraded a computer, but one of the installation disks was identified in one drive on that computer as an audio disk, but in the other drive it worked properly.

Jester2K II 11:49 20 Dec 2003

Try it in another PC first - Don't install just see if it also reads it as an Audio disk. It might be a setting in Windows which is wrong and needs fixing...

roundhead123 16:53 20 Dec 2003

Jester
I tried it in my pal's pc - windows 95 and it's still trying to open as an audio cd
Do you have any other ideas how I can fix it ?

Jester2K II 16:56 20 Dec 2003

Contact MS for a replacement.

roundhead123 17:09 20 Dec 2003

OK thanks -looks like I'll have to do that
Thanks to all who responded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts