Program information needed before download please.

Conny 23:25 16 Apr 2008

I have been advised to download a program called 'Utorrent' or 'Bit Torrent' before downloading free music files from anothet site. Can anyone tell me anything about these programs, especially if they are safe to use.
I have AVG 7.5, AVG Spyware Blaster Spyware Terminator, CCleaner and Ad-Aware. O/S is XP Home edition with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. I also have a router for my daughters wireless laptop which I believe has a built in Firewall. The router is a Netgear 614.
Hope this info helps and thank you.

johnnyrocker 23:34 16 Apr 2008

you are asking about something that is not legal and therefore might not get much response?

johnny

Technotiger 00:04 17 Apr 2008

Not safe to use at all - can cause all sorts of problems, I would advise you NOT to use these programs.

GaT7 00:13 17 Apr 2008

It's perfectly safe to use if done with some commonsense & one downloads good/legal stuff.

But these type of programs are often used by many to download a lot of dodgy (potentially virus/trojan-ridden) & even illegal material. If the 'free music files' are copyrighted then it's illegal.

I've used ĀµTorrent to download large Linux distros. G

Rob_08 00:14 17 Apr 2008

Utorrents great, but keep a good AV and Antispy running at all times.

Conny 00:20 17 Apr 2008

Thanks for your replies.
Think it best if I find a legitimate site and pay as I didn't realise I might be breaking the law.
Once again thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?