Problems with Vista Wireless Networking

marooncat 19:05 24 Dec 2008

Hope someone can help - I have done a search and can not find this being asked before - sorry if it has been.

I am trying to set up a wireless network for my mum. She has a new laptop with Vista and I have not used Vista before so am getting a bit lost.

I have setup the wireless router (Netgear DG834GT) and my own laptop running XP is connected fine to the network and getting on line. However her laptop will connect to the network fine but will not let me on line. When I got into the network and sharing centre it is showing the wireless connection is local only and a public network. If I try and change this to a private network it changes it back to a public one.

If I use a cable to connect the laptop to the router it gets on line fine.

I am assuming this is due to some setting I ahve to enable in Vista or something but I can not find it. I have tried removing the wireless adaptor in device manager and re-installing it but that has not helped.

Thanks

Ashrich 00:54 25 Dec 2008

Open Network and Sharing Centre and at the top left of the page click on Manage Networks and delete the profile for the Netgear router , try connecting again carefully entering the security key ( case sensitive ) and putting the connection into a Private category . The supplied security may also be blocking the internet connection if it has a firewall with it , try disabling whatever you have ( Norton , McAfee etc. ) and see if that helps . Only do this temporarily , if it does then you should be able to find out how to allow your browser to get online at the makers website .

Ashley

marooncat 10:11 25 Dec 2008

Well Santa must have been good to me as over night it has started working!!!

The only thing I can think of is that the router being powered down overnight has re-set something. I did power cycle the router when I was trying to set it up but did not leave it powered down for any lenght of time!

Thanks for your help anyhow Ashley..

Ashrich 23:25 25 Dec 2008

I would still think about creating a new profile as the " Public " one Vista has listed for you will alter the firewall settings preventing you/her from file sharing , wireless printing etc. , you may not want to do those things yet , but at some time I bet you will .

Ashley

ambra4 23:58 25 Dec 2008

Vista contains both the familiar IPv4 stack and the new IPv6 stack.

You do not need IPv6 at the present time disable IPv6 in all computers both on the Lan card and

wireless card, as it can cause connectivity problem on your network

Download the pdf file will tell you how to disable IPv6 in Vista

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?