Problems running chkdsk on win 7

Flak999 21:35 08 Jan 2018

Hi again still having complete nightmare with blue screens, so am running chkdsk in the windows environment. I have ticked both boxes to check the disk for errors and also to fix any errors it finds..

It flew through stages 1-3 and then stopped at the segment saying chkdsk is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5) 22% complete (87394 of 265968 files processed)

It has been stopped at this stage for 4 1/2 hours now!

Has it crashed should I reboot the system is this an indication that my hard disk a 7 year old SSD is failing?

I am a bit at a loss to know what to do next! Any help gratefully appreciated.

Govan1x 23:20 08 Jan 2018

Run it again and if it stops at the same point I would imagine it would be a scrapper.

Flak999 23:55 08 Jan 2018

Computer had stopped responding, so rebooted and ran again. Same result, I can get into windows but after about five mins system just freezes. I did manage to do a sfc /scannow check and this came up clean. I am now wondering should I buy a larger capacity SSD to replace this one and use a disk clone tool to restore a backup to the new drive or reinstall windows from scratch?

Govan1x 00:35 09 Jan 2018

Might get a bit more life out of it in safe mode.

Now I should have said I have not had a ssd before but have read that it was not a good idea the run for fixing bad sectors on it.

I suppose just running chkdsk normally works ok.

I think you are best waiting for proper advice as i am only guessing.

Govan1x 00:49 09 Jan 2018

Flak999

Just ignore my posts and wait for someone that is qualified to give you the answers that you need.

rdave13 08:26 09 Jan 2018

I would run Crystal Disk Info. You can download from Major Geeks . As with all freebies check on installing for unwanted pups. See comments.

If you click on Function - Advanced Features - Raw Values then select Dec instead of Hex it's easier to understand. This info from my old SSD,

Flak999 09:13 09 Jan 2018

Thanks for that, I have seen this program and was going to try it out but was put off by all the comments about it being bundled with loads of spam ware and spyware. If there is a download location where I could get a clean copy I would give it a go, although I doubt my machine will stay up long enough to download install and run the program without crashing!

Secret-Squirrel 09:36 09 Jan 2018

I have ticked both boxes..........

Do you mean these two boxes:

If you do then SSDs don't get "bad sectors" so the lower option should be left deselected. It could be the reason why the disk check is failing to complete.

Dave's suggestion of checking the SSD's SMART status is a good one.

Flak999 09:54 09 Jan 2018

Yes, I ticked both boxes! The machine stopped responding after 4 1/2 hours both times I ran the program and I had to do a hard reset.. when I ran chkdsk with just the top box ticked it completed but the report did say some corrections had been made..

However since then I can boot into windows but the machine locks up and stops responding after about five mins! I should add that last week I had managed to restore the drive using a saved disk image, however this only worked for about five days and I am now back here.

rdave13 10:17 09 Jan 2018

Do you have another Laptop you could connect the drive to with a caddy? You could then check it with Crystal disk info. Major geeks is a good site to download from so just be wary during install. Otherwise Macrium has the ability to quickly analyze the file system.

Secret-Squirrel 10:31 09 Jan 2018

Flak, Speccy Portable can read the SSD's SMART (health) details. The program doesn't need installing so there's no chance of picking up any pesky unwanted "extras".

The information you require is in Speccy's "Storage" section. Expand the "S.M.A.R.T" sections using the little blue triangles to see the full details.

SMART data can only be read when the drive is fixed inside the computer - it won't work externally using a USB adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)