Problems occuring after pc rebuild

techgran 19:40 26 Apr 2006

I have XP Home Edition Word 2000 and all customized settings have disappeared after rebuild. Toolbar/Menu options now available ONLY in Word. Everything on menus and below title bar (File.Edit.View etc) is grey/invisible, and options appear only as I ck on blank patch or scroll down menu when items appear one by one. Word documents returned in different fonts (never separately d/l)so must still be on same Word 2000 disk. Could I retrieve the fonts by re-running the disk? I do not understand complicated jargon but can follow pathnames, ie. My Docs>Tools>Options .... and would be so very grateful for any help anyone can offer. Thank you!!

remind 19:53 26 Apr 2006

You may be lacking a few optional features in Office - put your CD in - if it autoruns you should see the Add/Remove/Repair screen, otherwise go to COntrol Panel/Add REmove and select Microsoft Office.
click here

techgran 20:59 26 Apr 2006

The disk did not autorun but 'repaired' and provided a black Office s/cut bar R of screen. The problems are not resolved. M/s Office 2000 shows under my Belarc Advisor Profile but NOT under Control Panel or All Programs (just M/s Office Tools) so does that mean that it is simply just a s/cut and that I need to go ahead with the M/s Office 2000 installation?

techgran 21:07 26 Apr 2006

The disk did not autorun but 'repaired' and provided a black Office s/cut bar R of screen. The problems are not resolved. M/s Office 2000 shows under my Belarc Advisor Profile but NOT under Control Panel or All Programs (just M/s Office Tools) so does that mean that it is simply just a s/cut and that I need to go ahead with the M/s Office 2000 installation?

remind 21:25 26 Apr 2006

Sounds like it, do an un-install using the CD then a re-install.

techgran 11:04 27 Apr 2006

Sorry, I need to get this right! Do you mean un-install Word 2000 (including Works which I do not use)to try to bring back the missing options and fonts OR just install Office 2000 which might resolve the options/fonts?

remind 13:44 27 Apr 2006

Whatever package Word came with, Works or Office or just on its own CD, uninstall and reinstall that.

techgran 14:01 27 Apr 2006

Many thanks for your help from Tech Gran!

Smiler 14:23 27 Apr 2006

To get your full menus click on Tools, Customise then untick "Menus show recently used commands first"

techgran 16:30 27 Apr 2006

Thanks, Smiler! Have done that and I found also that the Advanced Display Properties for Menu were both showing the same colour, hence no visible wording. Obviously a gremlin who enjoys snarling up re-builds, but very inconveniencing until I came across the reason by chance this morning. This is a wonderful site - I can learn such a lot. Thanks to everyone who contributes .... techgran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?