Problems with the in-laws

cooldog 12:05 24 May 2003

Father in law has windows me running but it runs real slow, boot-up takes at least five minutes. Applications are slow to run first time then fast after its learnt where to go. Takes an age sometimes just to refresh a page..

Any suggestions?

MartinT-B 12:08 24 May 2003

PC specs would help

Also thread COULD be better named!

rawprawn 12:21 24 May 2003

Have a look at what is in the start up (go to run/ type msconfig & click the start tab) see what is ticked & untick anything not needed at startup.

leo49 12:30 24 May 2003

Much depends on how PC-literate he is.If he's the average clueless punter then he's probably got loads of garbage floating around on his machine and a thorough clearout of accumulated junk, a registry cleanup and a scandisc and defrag will probably improve matters considerably.

BlueMeanie 12:37 24 May 2003

Hi.
Could also be a virus doing its naughty business. The one on a PC that I am repairing at the momment is making (nearly 2000) copies of files and s l o w i n g down the system. One clue is that the hard disk is "working" most of the time

spuds 14:06 24 May 2003

Would help in you stated o/s and computer spec. Perhaps a Maintenance/Scandisk/Defrag are needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Why this awful City of Los Angeles job ad for a graphic designer is actually brilliant

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)