Problems installing linux

Legolas 16:32 30 Aug 2003

I am running WinXP and due to a college project I want to install Redhat linux 6.2 as this is the one we are going to be using.

I downloaded the ISO file from the redhat site and burned it to disk, the problem is I cannot get it to install, it will not boot from the CD and when I make a boot up disk on floppy and try and boot from that it gets as far as 'searching for boot from floppy...ok' then it hangs and goes no further.

I have made the floppy more than once to eliminate the chance that the floppy is corrupted in some way but I get the same result.

Can any linux gurus out there help?

seedie 16:42 30 Aug 2003

are you using Nero?

Chegs ® 16:46 30 Aug 2003

click here

Seems a common prob with linux iso's.Try here for suggestions.

woodchip 16:49 30 Aug 2003

To create the boot floppy you have to do it in DOS using Rawright and point it to the boot Image it will tell you to put a floppy in when it's ready. Rather you than me loading Version 6.2

Legolas 17:03 30 Aug 2003

Thanks for the replies.

seedie I am using nero I read on another thread that I can burn a disk and make it bootable using nero?

Thanks for the link chegs.

woodchip I created the floppy from DOS using rawrite and copied the boot image.

any more suggestions anyone?

muppetmark 17:15 30 Aug 2003

you could try Iso recorder from click here for creating you ISO images

seedie 17:56 30 Aug 2003

Ah good. I did this last night with the mandrake ISOs.

To burn a bootable CD using nero you use the bottom option in the express thingy. Don't use Data option but the "disc image or saved project".

Bon voyage

woodchip 18:14 30 Aug 2003

You do not need to put the ISO's on a CD put them into a folder on hard drive boot with the boot disc and point it to the Iso images on HD that's what I did with RedHat9

woodchip 18:16 30 Aug 2003

Do not forget that Linux call's HD's a HDA drive giving each a number like HDA1 which should be your C:\ drive

Legolas 18:45 30 Aug 2003

Hi all.

Thanks for all your replies. I had trouble finding redhat 6.2 to download and the site I found only had the one ISO file to download but after looking at other versions they all seem to have more than ISO file so maybe I did'nt get it all.

Anyway although it is 6.2 we are going to be installing at college I decided to buy the latest version 9 it cost me £6+£1 postage. I will let you know how I get on when it is deliverd and I am sure that I will be back for more advice.

Woodchip is it 9 you have installed if so I will be bending your ear lots when I get my copy lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?