Problems with faulty ram and slot.

RedYelBlu 21:33 25 Nov 2015

I had noticed that my desk top PC was getting very sluggish. I'm running Win7 on a Gigabyte GA-G31M ES2l motherboard with 3GB of ram. I dismantled it to give a hoover out as the PC seems to collect dust. When I reassembled I didn't get the short bleep but now a series of about 8 bleeps. I bought some new ram and now by process of elimination I have found that the original 2gb ram is faulty ie. it doesn't work, and ram slot DDII1 also doesn't work. The original 1gb ram works in slot DDRR2 OK. I think now that when I refitted the ram I must have put them back in different slots which highlighted the fault with the ram and slot.

Is it possible for a piece of ram to develop a fault and damage the mother board? I have never heard of this happening. Or is it possible that some thing has happened in the bios? Can any one suggest a solution? Could I put a single piece of 4gb ram into the slot that works? Thanks for any help.

Devil Fish 23:18 25 Nov 2015

a faulty slot could damage ram and a slot can become faulty for various reasons.And yes you can put a 4gig stick in 1 slot providing it is compatible with your motherboard.

RedYelBlu 09:40 26 Nov 2015

Thank you Devil Fish. I have found some compatible ram on ebay and I didn't realise that some ram will only run with AMD or Intel CPUs. Does it matter which ram slot it goes in? Its DDII1 slot which is faulty and I would think that this slot should be used on its own first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Artists FriendsWithYou reimagine Snoopy and Charlie Brown for a Peanuts London takeover

iPad Pro 12.9in (2018) review

Les meilleurs smartphones chinois disponibles en France