Problems with booting up new build

mr simon 23:34 14 Jan 2010

I've just built a new desktop, mostly using new parts but a couple from my old PC, including the hard drive.

Booting up went fine, but I have decided to reinstall the OS to start afresh. I went into the BIOS and changed the boot order to DVD drive first, and popped Win 7 64 bit into the drive. Despite the fact that the motherboard detected the drive, it won't load the OS. All I am getting is a black screen with a blinking _ cursor.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

mr simon 23:47 14 Jan 2010

Just to add, the drive doesn't detect any discs that I put in when the OS is booted up.

I have a molex and the IDE cable plugged in, am I missing one?

JessicaD42 14:53 22 Jan 2010

Mr. Simon,

Prior to migrating to Windows 7 did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?

To determine if your current computer configuration will be compatible with Windows 7 please go to the following link: click here

Another resource to verify compatibility is available at the Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center located at the following link: click here

Microsoft Windows Client Team

I am Spartacus 15:02 22 Jan 2010

If you've used a new motherboard with SATA ports but are using an IDE hard disk then make sure the BIOS settings for the drive are IDE rather than AHCI/SATA.

It's also possible the IDE drive uses a different controller to that of SATA so make sure that one is enabled.

OTT_B 15:31 22 Jan 2010

Are you using the original W7 DVD, or a copy? I've seen the symptoms you have mentioned before, but only on copied DVDs. In which case, either using the original DVD, or reburning it onto a different media may help you.

mr simon 18:10 23 Jan 2010

I am very sorry, I should have ticked this resolved or posted to say I've fixed it, but I wasn't expecting any replies. I bought a new drive and its working nicely.

Can I just add though, its great to see Microsoft staff on here helping people out. Long may it continue :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Adobe price increase confuses customers

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?