Problem updated NVIDIA driver

wescliff 13:47 24 Sep 2014

Recently reformatted my Acer Z5710 all in one and the graphics obviously went back to factory version which is three years old. I have downloaded the latest driver for the card which is which is a GeForce G210M, but the installer always tells me that it cannot continue because it could not find compatible hardware. I know this is because the relevant ID for my system does not appear in any of the inf files. I have tried a few times to insert one but must be doing something wrong.

The ID I have is: PCI\VEN10DE&DEV0A74&SUBSYS02971025&REVA2\4&17EEEF41&0&0008

and the last edit I tried is: %NVIDIADEV.0A74.12A2.1043%=Section093,PCI\VEN10DE&DEV0A74&SUBSYS02971025

There could be a problem with 12A2 - I have no idea if this is right. Just copied from the line in the .inf that already had 0A74 in it.

I did not edit the strings section as the line NVIDIA_DEV.0A74.12A2.1043 = "NVIDIA GeForce G210M already existed.

Can someone please help as I am very unsure as to what could be wrong and am fearful of doing more harm than good.

I cannot find anything on the NVidia site about this issue, but they must surely be aware of it. A utility that would read my ID and create the code in the inf would be ideal.

Grateful for any help.

Ian in Northampton 16:57 24 Sep 2014

Might you do better trying to install the Acer driver for the card - or is that what you've already done?

wescliff 17:20 24 Sep 2014

It's the nvidia driver that reinstalled with Windows. But I have got somewhere. I copied the inf file for that driver from windows\system into the downloaded nvidia folder and renamed it to one already there. And the installer ran - for a few seconds. Now it needs to have the chip set driver updated before it will work. Getting a bit too complicated I think.

Ian in Northampton 20:14 24 Sep 2014

You've come across something that's caught me out in the past - install drivers in the wrong order, and you're - er - can I say 'screwed'?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

50 Cent is Iron Man in these comic book cover reissues of hip hop classics

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Mac : comment forcer la fermeture d’une application ?