Problem setting up email address in Outlook 2016

exdragon 09:13 27 Jul 2016

Hi - I'm trying to set up my addresses in Outlook, having previously used WLM but although I have been able to do it in the past, I had to delete them and start again. This is the message I'm now getting. I tried online chat with Plusnet, but the person kept telling me to 1) remove my email address and then 2) send myself an email from Outlook. She then said it was an Outlook problem - any ideas, please?

Send test email message: Your outgoing (SMTP) email server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 552 Pjyb1t00306jQC301jyc4B message rejected due to spam

Secret-Squirrel 09:27 27 Jul 2016

Did that error appear when Outlook was testing the mail account settings? If it did then I'm not overly concerned. What happens if you ignore that and try to send a regular email? If it fails with a different error then post it here.

exdragon 09:32 27 Jul 2016

I can't send an email as I can't set up the email address.

It appears when testing the settings.

Secret-Squirrel 10:08 27 Jul 2016

I can't send an email as I can't set up the email address.

OK then.

Go back into the email setup and make sure you choose the "Manual setup" option. Enter all the login details and servers etc, and most importantly, untick the box that says "Automatically test account settings when Next is clicked".

exdragon 10:26 27 Jul 2016

Secret-Squirrel - I love you! That was about the only thing I didn't do, and I spent most of yesterday faffing about with this.

Now, if only you could help me transfer all WLM emails into Outlook, that would be the icing on the cake. 2016 doesn't support merely importing, as WLM is eml and 2016 pst as you know. I guess the other thing to do would be save all WLM emails into Mailstore and then just use Outlook instead?

Thank you.

Secret-Squirrel 11:08 27 Jul 2016

Are Outlook and WLM installed on the same computer?

exdragon 11:15 27 Jul 2016

Yes they are. Does this mean you know how to do it? I also have WLM on the laptop.

Secret-Squirrel 11:37 27 Jul 2016

Yes they are.

Although I've never done it myself, it should be easy. Simply make sure that Outlook is running, then in WLM, click the "File" menu -> Export Email -> Email Messages -> Microsoft Exchange -> Next -> then follow the instructions.

exdragon 12:16 27 Jul 2016

By George, I think that's it, thank you so much. I can't believe I couldn't do it!

One final (hopefully) question: as well as the various email addresses with their folders, I've got an Outlook Data File - should that be there? It's so long since I used Outlook that I can't remember.

exdragon 12:35 27 Jul 2016

Hmm, spoke too soon, I fear. It's not transferring all messages. For example, in WLM I have over 30 emails for one particular address, but only 4 have appeared in Outlook. Back to the drawing board, perhaps!

Secret-Squirrel 15:33 27 Jul 2016

...........I've got an Outlook Data File...........

That's normally the file where Outlook stores all its data so it's very important. However, I'm flummoxed now that you've said it seems to appear in Outlook's Folder List. Sorry about that.

........It's not transferring all messages.

If you place WLM and Outlook side-by-side, can you drag an email from WLM and drop into the Outlook folder you want it to live in? Hopefully that'll be an acceptable workaround for you if you don't have many more messages that need exporting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?