Hot Topics

We regret to inform you that the PC Advisor Forums are now closed, and you are unable to post new comments or conversations. If you have a question about the forums, please contact us.

PROBLEM WITH MY GMAIL PROGRAMME

Anon-2282558 10:50 12 Jan 2020
Answered

Have been using Gmail for about a year and very pleased. For the past couple of days, when loading the programme, what appears to be a blue filter suddenly fills the working area and nothing works. So I close down and reload and this time it appears to be OK. However, this problem seems to be every time now. I hesitate to reinstall the programme in case I loose all previous messages and contacts list. Can anyone suggest what to do please? Pete

Anon-2445101 11:47 12 Jan 2020

Gmail is cloud based so you really have no need for an app to open it. Open a browser on your device and search for gmail then log in online. If you are using an app from google store and it's acting up then uninstall it and try a better app.

Anon-2282558 14:19 12 Jan 2020

Thanks for quick reply that I will follow up. I would mention that my other desktop PC is not having the problem Thanks again.

Anon-2454651 16:29 13 Jan 2020

You're just talking about the webmail ? Or the Gmail app on Android/iOS ?

Anon-2282558 16:59 13 Jan 2020

I'm using Gmail on my two desktop machines. Only one is showing the problem. Another oddity has recently occured in that every time I check my emails I now have to sign in although the name and password show as saved, I have to click each in order to log on. This never used to happen. I'm on Win 10. Any ideas?

Anon-2445101 17:08 13 Jan 2020

If you're using a shortcut on the desktop or a bookmark then delete them. In your browser type google.co.uk and click the gmail link top right. Does the same thing happen?

Anon-2282558 10:09 16 Jan 2020

Thanks x13. I have tried this and the other suggestions all to no avail. I have discovered one other point. I always use the 'Chrome' programme but I also have the 'Edge' browser but rarely use it, so I tried opening Gmail with it and it all works fine. Am now wondering if 'Chrome' might have a problem although everything else is working fine. Thanks for your interest. Pete.

Anon-281249 10:23 16 Jan 2020

Just an observation: The "Blue Filter" that you mentioned, sounds like what happens when you "Highlight" something.

I have no idea why, or how, this might happen.

Anon-2445101 10:29 16 Jan 2020

I don't use Google Chrome browser but it might be worth resetting it to default settings. No 1 here. Extentions can then be added one by one to check for incompatibility.

Anon-2282558 14:48 19 Jan 2020
Answer

Problem solved (I hope), Following suggestion, I reset Chrome and also did an update to it, Naturally a few items had to be then re-set and then restore some extensions and all seems to be working fine now. Fingers crossed!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer advice.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

£129 Roku Streambar Aims to Complete the Home Entertainment Experience

Apple iMac 2020 review

No, iOS 14 widgets are not spying on your iPhone

Google Pixel 5 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs

/forum/helproom-1/problem-my-gmail-programme-4718533/