Problem with my computer!!!

Keany 13:59 09 May 2003

My computer originally came with XP as the operating system. Into 4 months of owning it, my DVD drive stopped working. It was able to read DVD's but not CD-ROM's. It couldnt read any type of CD-ROM (not even the boot up disk). Then a few days after that the whole operating system crashed. I wasnt able to reboot, due my DVD drive not being able to read the Boot up disk. I took it to get repaired. They managed to get Windows ME installed on it, but i am still having the same problem with my DVD drive (reading DVD's but not CD-ROM's). How do i get the DVD drive to read CD-ROM's? As im wanting to install Windows XP back on to it.

-pops- 14:21 09 May 2003

It seems to me you have a faulty DVD drive. They often use a different laser to read DVDs to that used for CDs and it is probably the CD laser part that has failed in some way.

You can get a new DVD drive for about £35 but, if your machine is only a few months old, you shouldn't have to mess around like that - your consumer rights give you protection against faulty equipment. Tell your supplier the situation and get them to sort it out for you.

Brian

-pops- 14:26 09 May 2003

I've just noticed you have another thread running with this same problem.

Please close one of them otherwise things are going to get very confused.

DieSse 14:37 09 May 2003

I agree with -pops- on both counts - what the problem probably is, and the warranty issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?