problem with latest microsoft.Net Framework

morters 14:33 14 May 2010

I recently bought a new Canon camera but when I tried to download the picture viewer software from the CD ROM I got the following error message:

"An error has occured during the installation of Microsoft. NET Framework. Installation has been stopped."

Canon say this is because I don't have the latest version of this and suggested ringing Microsoft. As usual, totally useless; as usual, I find the Microsoft help website totally incomprehensible (I am not at all technical - had never heard of NET Framework until now!)

I have Windows XP, Media Centre Edition, version 2002.

Can anyone advise in clear, non-techy manner how to sort this out? I had assumed that all the automatic Microsoft updates would hve taken care of this but then I'm just a computer simpleton.

Thanking anyone out there in advance.

bremner 14:44 14 May 2010

Net Framework 1.1 click here

Net Framework 2 click here

Net Famework 3.5 click here

Install them all. Each may be required in future as as you have found different applications require different versions.

morters 14:53 14 May 2010

Thanks, bremner. Looking in the Framework folder in the Microsoft. Net folder on my pc, I see I have File Folders: v1.0.3705, v1.14322 and v2.0.50727. Should I just download 3.5? And what about Microsoft's instructions to make sure I've got the latest service pack and that I've got Windows Installer 3.1? - this is where I got lost.

bremner 14:58 14 May 2010

Yes just download and install v3.5.

You should ensure you have XP SP3 as well.

morters 15:00 14 May 2010

Sorry, bremner, but how do I check if I've got XP SP3? Sorry to be a pain.

morters 16:37 14 May 2010

bremner, don't know if you're still there but it would seem I have service Pack 3 (right clicked My Computer Properties). Downloaded v3.5 but I get an error message and it won't install. In the error log it reads: "Depcheck indicates XPSEPSC Installer is not installed". Any suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?