problem with dvd-rw drive

TeamRegis 14:41 07 Oct 2008

ok, my disc drive randomly stopped working,it opens and closes but it wont read any disc, the pc is recognising two separate dvd drives, (after swapping them over they arent set up at the same time) but neither drive works, so that doesnt suggest to me the source of the problem, because both pc and dvd drives are doing half the job, any suggestions?

/Regis

Jak_1 15:04 07 Oct 2008

What os? What burning program? How many physical DVD drives, one or two?
However it sounds as though the laser in the drive is u/s and a new drive is in order. They are cheap enough these days and very easy to install. The last one I did took me 15 mins from start to finish and that included taking off the side and front panel, removal of old drive and insertion of new one and side and front panels replaced.

Stuartli 15:42 07 Oct 2008

One of the drives should be set as the Master and the other as the Slave, using the jumpers at the rear of each drive.

A rewriter is normally Master and a CD/DVD-ROM drive the Slave; Windows will recognise the two drives, install the basic CDROM drivers for the drives and assign each a drive letter if you Uninstall both from Device Manager and then Reboot.

shirlyn 07:51 17 Dec 2008

im using samsung dvd rom n its a new one...it can be used before this but when i recently tried to open files from cd, it took ages to run and the light is working but the files never come out...the dvd drive is recognised by vista but when i double-click on it to access the files, it said the drive is empty and ask to insert a cd, in fact there is cd in the drive...all the cds are working properly in other pc/laptop...before this i bought a LG one but the same problem occured...thinking that the LG rom has a problem, i bought this samsung instead...at first it works but now the same problem...can anybody pls help me on this? thanks...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:06 17 Dec 2008

You need to start your own thread, that way you will receive notification of replies to your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?