problem downloading images from internet

Adam Patrick 17:13 25 Oct 2003

Hi there

I'm having trouble viewing some downloaded images from the internet. I think the download itself is successful beacause when I go to My Documents/My Pictures it gives a download size of file (eg 130 KB).
The problem is when I try to view the image in My Pictures by double clicking, a message comes up saying 'No preview available'. Most images can be viewed ok but the 'ART files' for some reason cannot.
I would be grateful for some help.

VoG II 17:24 25 Oct 2003

Are you using AOL by any chance? If so you may be suffering from AOL's image compression click here

Djohn 17:57 25 Oct 2003

Strange one that VoG. Compression of graphics is not a default feature of AOL and you have to go into settings/preferences and www to enable it. Even then all pages will still load and look fine. [Just tried it].

It appears to be a way of zipping large graphic files for download and save of image, then you uncompress it when you want to view or print it. j.

VoG II 18:00 25 Oct 2003

I'm definitely not an expert on AOL. However I recall seeing this problem posed before and the solution was to disable the compression. I can't for the life of me think where or when I saw that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts