Problem CD-Rw discs?

1936 18:03 14 Sep 2003

I am off round the coast of Britain in my elderly motor caravan to gather material to write a guide to camping and caravan sites with a view of the sea. I want to be able to back up to as CD while I am on the road in case I lose the lap top.
My Toshiba 1000 laptop does not have a CD-RW facility and a module that would fit costs over £300 so I opted for an external Iomega CD-RW to connect to my laptop.
The discs I have are 650 Memorex CD-RW and I have had problems getting them to run. Firstly the Iomega external CD-RW said that I must format the discs but when I tried a message came up saying there was no disc in place. Eventually when I managed to download a file from the laptop to the external CD-RW it would not run on my desktop PC.
I have been told that some external CD-RWs are not always compatible with Desktop PCs. I have also been told that some CD-RW discs are better than others so I wonder if it the Memorex discs I have are up to the job.
My question is: Does any one know of an independent review of CD-RW discs on the web or am I asking the wrong question?

[DELETED] 18:05 14 Sep 2003

I have never had any success using CDRW disks.

As CDR disks are so cheap and much more reliable, I use those.

I assume your Iomega device will accept CDRs so try them in preference.

[DELETED] 18:10 14 Sep 2003

As -pops- says, probably better to use CDR. You can keep writing to them on different sessions as long as you don't close them off, then use a new one when full. j.

[DELETED] 18:25 14 Sep 2003

As pops & Djohn say CDRW aren't the most reliable medium. How long are you expecting to be on the road ? CDRW aren't really intended for long term data archiving. The only time I use them is to transfer data from 1 pc to another, and to use as short term storage for mp3 collections to play on the move.

1936 21:26 14 Sep 2003

Brilliant. Many thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Adobe's brand-new video editing app Project Rush works across your computer, tablet and phone

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Les meilleurs jeux pour Android (2018)