Aneal 11:44 24 May 2006

Hi, wondering if anyone can help...

Put simply, I have a laptop and the CD Drive does not work. The CD drive opens and when a cd is inserted the laptop fails to recognise anything. Since purchase (around 5 years ago) the CD dirve has only been used a handful of times so not too sure what the problem is?

Please help!!

Totally-braindead 11:45 24 May 2006

Does it still appear in My Computer?

Aneal 11:46 24 May 2006

Hi, yes it does.

Totally-braindead 11:51 24 May 2006

You could try cleaning the laser with a cleaning disk and try deleting the drive and restarting the computer, that would make Windows reinstall the cdrom driver, you may need the Windows disk its been so long since I did it I can't remember.
Failing that and assumming it reads no disks at all either audio or data then your cdrom may have failed.

UncleP 12:06 24 May 2006

If the drive doesn't work with any CD, it may be a fault with the optical system. This is not uncommon in older machines, either from dust getting in or the light source (usually a laser diode, I think) losing output power.

It's not easy to repair. With desktop computers it's simplest to replace the drive - it's not expensive and you finish up with a better drive. With laptops you are dependent on what the manufacturer will do, and at what price.

UncleP 12:17 24 May 2006

Sorry, overlapped Totally-braindead and didn't see his post.

I had one go on my last computer. The annoying thing was that the OS (Windows ME) reported that the drive was working normally - it was just that it wouldn't read most CDs. Fortunately it was just within the 3-year warranty, and the supplier replaced it without hesitation - good customer service!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:20 24 May 2006

Is there a yellow exclamation mark against the drive in Device Manager?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?