printer delay

big bella 16:49 06 Aug 2003

can anyone please explain why my printer takes about five minutes before deciding to print anything. I have win xp home edition 80 gb 512mb and a hp 920c printer. this problem, along with a general slow down in overall performance has become more noticable just recently.
any ideas would be most helpful

thanks

mikey b

Djohn 18:07 06 Aug 2003

It may be that your printer settings are incorrect. But you also mention a general overall slowing down of system. You have enough memory, but is it being used by other programs that are running in the background? Have you tried a clean out of your Temp. files, [Win. and internet], removing of unnecessary programs/applications, and a defrag of your drive? j.

Ironman556 19:10 06 Aug 2003

Have a look in the printer settings. Is your printer set to spool the whole document before printing? Try deselecting it.

xania 20:56 06 Aug 2003

You have plenty of memory, but Windows has probably stolen it. I suggest you get it back with click here.

It is free, and has save me much time and worry

t_o_m 21:00 06 Aug 2003

I had a problem identical to this with my epson printer whilst running ME (now on XP Pro). I tried running MSCONFIG and disabling some programs but that did not work. In the end, the only way I got round it was by formatting my HDD, and then installing XP Pro.

spuds 23:31 06 Aug 2003

Are your drivers up to date for XP. I have had many problems with an HP590 OfficeJet and Samsung Laser,since converting to XP Pro from WME.Both machines worked perfectly with WME. The HP keeps failing with a 'communications' problem, and the Samsung keeps insisting that it is 'new hardware found'. Still trying to solve these problems, even with new drivers.

wee eddie 23:26 07 Aug 2003

Connection, Parallel or USB?

Have you recently installed a Watermark onto all your documents.

Has your Letterhead become more complex.

big bella 14:56 09 Aug 2003

thanks everybody, I've lot's to try there. I'll post back if anything improves.

mikey b

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts