print preview different from actual printed text

notrom 16:23 11 Sep 2003

I am trying to print a long document as economically as possible. In print preview, text appears to end very near bottom of page. The actual printed page, however, falls short by some 2-3". No text is missing, but it seems smaller than I would expect. Before I print, I get a
message "Margins of section 1 are set outside the
printable area of the page. Do you want to continue?"

I want to fully fill the page, either with more text or with larger size text, but I don't want the wasted 2-3" at the bottom. I'm sure this is a simple problem, but I can't work it out!
Thanks, anyone!

PS Office XP, Microsoft ME, Epson C42UX

Taff36 16:45 11 Sep 2003

I assume you are using WORD (Version?)

Two things to check. First in page set up that the margins are set to make full use of the page and that the header and footer settings are set to the minimum. This would explain why you have margins set outside the printable page (i.e.they are beyond the limits of your printer). If the footer is set too high you may get the big gap at the bottom of every page.

Secondly check that the paper size is set correctly. Not to "letter" instead of A4 for example.

notrom 17:04 11 Sep 2003

Thanks, Taff36, sorting the header/footer setting seems to have sorted it! What a klutz! Don't understand how you establish margins are set to make full use of page, or is that easy-peasy too?
(Word 2002, by the way). Purely out of interest, I tried that question on Microsoft's help line - after 3 hours or more, got an answer I could barely understand, didn't seem relevant and ended up suggesting I buy a laser printer! That'll teach me not stray of the true and narrow path at PCAdvisor!
Thanks anyway

Taff36 07:53 12 Sep 2003

Margins on paper are determined by your printer capabilities.Check your documentation for the minimum settings. Lasers can in general print closer to the edges.In Word you will generally get a message if you set a margin less than the print capabilities with a pop up box that offers to "fix it". Say OK to that and you will see the minimum dimensions set for you.

Glad you resolved it - don`t forget to tick the resolved box unless you have another one for us!

notrom 11:21 12 Sep 2003

Help!!! I posted this yesterday (print preview different from actual printed text, 16.23): I am trying to print a long document as economically as possible. In print preview, text appears to end very near bottom of page. The actual printed page, however, falls short by some 2-3". No text is missing, but it seems smaller than I would expect. Before I print, I get a message "Margins of section 1 are set outside the printable area of the page. Do you want to continue?"
I want to fully fill the page, either with more text or with larger size text, but I don't want the wasted 2-3" at the bottom. I'm sure this is a simple problem, but I can't work it out! Thanks, anyone!
PS Office XP, Microsoft ME, Epson C42UX
I thought my problem was sorted (No offence/rudeness intended, Taff36, I?ve cocked up something!)

I think (I?ve been playing around with so many settings, trying to sort this out, I can?t be too sure exactly what I did when) I changed the header/footer settings and all seemed ok ? full-size 12pt, headers, all printed to 2cm short of bottom of paper. Perfect!

I then opened a new Word document, set it up as before and pasted in the first page of the document I originally wanted to print. Still perfect. Then I pasted in the whole of the document and the original problem reappeared. Have searched the Help topics but can?t find anything intelligible (to me!) that seems relevant.

To cap it all, I think I accidently clicked the ?Default...? button on Page Setup on the original document for printing, so that the screen page width is some 15% wider than it should be. Somehow, I seem to have changed the default setting back to normal (I think!) but I don?t know how to revert to normal on the documents afflicted with over-wide pages.

So, a big plea for help for someone who?s got himself into a bit of a mess. Specifics welcomed, but also if anyone can direct me to non-too technical source that explains the basics I obviously lack. Apologies for long posting!

Thanks in advance.

-pops- 11:28 12 Sep 2003

Can you do a system restore to before you made these changes?

Taff36 11:44 12 Sep 2003

Ok Don`t panic!

Let`s assume you have all the text you want in your document for the moment and you have saved it with a named file.

Go to page set up as before and simply put back in the margins in the correct boxes. I would suggest Left & right margins at 1.5 cm Top at 1.8 cm and bottom 1.8. Headers and footers as before. Check the paper size and finally save the document again. Now have another look and just tweak those settings.

How many pages is it anyway?

Taff36 11:48 12 Sep 2003

Oh nearly forgot - MOST IMPORTANT - On each tab sheet of the page set up make sure you change the drop down box that says "Apply to" WHOLE DOCUMENT.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

6 great UX design talks you can watch online

How to jailbreak an iPhone or iPad in iOS 11 or iOS 10

Musique de Noël : les meilleures chansons en streaming