print folder contents?

panhandle 13:13 03 Apr 2004

How can I print, for example a list of the several hundred mp3 tracks in "My Music"? I do not want screen prints but something more legible.
Thanks.

ton 13:56 03 Apr 2004

Try this H:\>dir /B /S > c:\cdlist.txt

Use the Dos prompt, Change C to the directory to be listed (in place of H above.

Make sure you put in the spaces. This will put a text file in your C drive.

panhandle 14:06 03 Apr 2004

Tried your idea - typed carefully in "run", yes. It takes me to the file but just normal view. It does also produce a notepad file, but that isempty??

VoG II 14:09 03 Apr 2004
  ton 14:14 03 Apr 2004

you need to use the dos prompt, look in 'Start - Programs - MS-DOS Prompt'. Open the dos prompt and type it there and it should work.

ton 14:33 03 Apr 2004

If you are using XP the dos prompt is in 'Programs - Accessories' and is called 'Command prompt'.

panhandle 17:01 03 Apr 2004

ton == that bit of help was needed. However I get the error message >

C:\> is not recognised as an operable command

I replaced H with C, and carefully followed the spacing. I'm on XPPro. Any more help would be appreciated, maybe I'm being stupid somewhere.

VoG == link unavailable, found it elsewhere. Unfortunately it is converting the song titles to the album title that they came from, so not exactly what I was after!

VoG II 17:05 03 Apr 2004

The C:\> is not part of the command, it's what you should see in white letters on a black screen when you enter cmd in the Run box.

VoG II 17:11 03 Apr 2004

Or what about click here

panhandle 17:19 03 Apr 2004

give up on me if you wish! I won't be offended.

In the dos screen it opens with C:\Documents and Settings\User>

I'm now putting dir /B /S > c:\cdlist.txt immediately following, with that spacing. When I enter there is no context, just a new line as above?

panhandle 18:38 03 Apr 2004

same problem. the mp3's are off the internet, P2P, and whoever I got them from must have put them on as a complete album, and I selected specific track and somewhere the album title is embedded - so thanks anyway for trying!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?