Preferred type of DVD media to use for backups?

Batch 16:57 16 Jan 2006

I'm about to use writeable DVDs for the 1st time.

The DVD writer supports the following:

DVD-R

DVD-RW

DVD-RAM

DVD+R

DVD+R DL

DVD+RW

My main use will be for back-ups (some long term and some to be rotated and therfore overwritten).

It seems to boil down to -R or +R for long term (or possibly +R DL). And -RW or +RW for rotation.

What are the "preferred" type of media to use for these purposes? Really comes down to is - or + better? I assume DVD-RAM is best reserved for use as a big floppy and so may not be the most appropriate.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:10 16 Jan 2006

I currently use a DVD+RW for my usual back-up which gets refreshed when I remember. When I get a new drive, should be this week, I will use DVD+R DL to create a full system back-up for reinstallation when it all goes down the pan.

DuffMiver 09:42 17 Jan 2006

Yeah, it would be good to know more about what's best to use for what purposes.

keith-236785 10:10 17 Jan 2006

i have had some trouble with + format, i bought some cheap "datasafe" brand discs from a computer fair, backed up my system and about two months later when i try to access them i get a "data cyclical error" message and some files are not retrievable. got most of the data back but lost a few files. lesson to me to stick to what i know works rather than saving 50p on a spindle of 25.

all other + & - discs i have used have worked without fault so im going to put it down to bad luck or a bad batch etc.

i am currently using - format for backups just because i wont use the + discs i have got left.

Basically then i dont think there is any difference between the two.

€dstowe 10:38 17 Jan 2006

I wouldn't even put my Tesco shopping list on a RW disk - whether DVD or CD.

For something as potentially important as a backup will be one day, it is essential to have it stored on something reliable - which RW media are not.

Maturin 10:46 17 Jan 2006

IMHO, DVD RAM are the best for backups: more robust than other DVD formats as they can tolerate 100 000 rewrites apparently compared to the < 10 000 of other DVD formats.

Batch 12:00 17 Jan 2006

You say that RW are not reliable - is there some report / definitive source that I can go to that gives some test results to back this up?

€dstowe 13:23 17 Jan 2006

I'm writing from my own experience of these cursed things.

I think you'll find a number of members here have the same opinion.

So, to answer your question: no, I don't have any definitive report but, I would never take the risk with something as important as a backup.

pj123 15:50 17 Jan 2006

Snap, I agree with €dstowe. I would never put any important data on to any type of RW disc.

My personal files/data/photo's backups are all put on to DVD-R (the cost is minimal against losing the data).

My system disk C: drive is cloned to another hard disk drive every 6 months which is then taken out of the computer and stored.

freaky 16:32 17 Jan 2006

My own personal media would be DVD-RAM - provided of course that your DVD writer supports them, which according to your post it does.

I recently started using these with my DVD Recorder, and find them excellent. I am using the Panasonic make. Empire and Amazon were offering these very cheaply if you purchase on-line.

There main advantage is the ability to be written to 1,000's of times with 100% reliability as per Maturin's post above

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?