Pre-loaded apps on new laptop

dangerus1 12:07 01 Jan 2017
Answered

I have bought a new HP Pavilion laptop 8GB Ram Intel i5 Processor. I'm quite pleased with it but the starting up takes longer than my old PackardBell with only a fraction of the spec. There are a lot of preloaded apps by HP that I shall never use nor want,Smart Friend/Lounge/Print/Groove Music (at my age)/Film and TV, a lot of these are pay for services. Are these slowing the start time and can I get rid of them without without ruining my guarantee? also Windows updates seem to be Automatic in Win 10 how do I alter these settings to give me the option of installing or not, as I've read that some updates have caused problems with some PCs.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:57 01 Jan 2017

Some you mention (Groove music) are windows 10 not HP

10apps manager will get rid or unwanted windows 10 apps

PCDecrapifier is good for uninstalling any pre install stuf that comes wih the PC.

Forum Editor 13:21 01 Jan 2017

"Are these slowing the start time and can I get rid of them without without ruining my guarantee?"

Probably, and yes. Use Fruit Bat /\0/\'s recommendations, but make sure that you know what everything is before you uninstall stuff.

With regard to your updates question, take a look at this.

In passing, I have allowed Windows 10 to update itself on all my computers ever since it first launched, and (so far) I haven't had a single problem.

rdave13 13:43 01 Jan 2017
Answer

I must have over a hundred apps in the list showing in start - system - apps and features. Task manager shows 13 apps that start at start-up and some other I've disabled. Booting time is ok for an ordinary Sata drive. Sometimes I reboot the HP laptop as that refreshes the OS rather than shut-down.

By all means remove apps you won't use but I would do that manually over time just in-case you remove a needed HP app or other at a later stage.

Burn-it 14:22 01 Jan 2017

There are also a lot of things that are set to AUTOMATIC and hence are launched during start up. Many of these can be changed to ON DEMAND so that the only start when needed

dangerus1 14:35 01 Jan 2017

Fruit Bat,and rdave, i have taken your advice and got rid of a lot of the apps I will never use, some of them were just wanting you to use paid for services such as Netflix, The start time has greatly improved. Forum Editor, I'll take your advice on Updates. Thanks for all the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

How to learn 3D modelling in Blender

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs jeux pour apprendre à coder