PowerQuest Drive Image 7

anniesboy68 15:22 18 Aug 2003

After reading a writeup I'm thinking of getting this program, however looking at the postings on this it looks as if a few people are having trouble! Anyone using it without trouble, please?Also my hard drive has three partitions i.e.C,D,E. I'm assuming that an image of C can be put onto D, which is large enough, is that correct please?.

pj123 15:56 18 Aug 2003

why not try Ranish it is a free programme and does the same job from click here

pj123 15:58 18 Aug 2003

what operating system are u using? Is your D: drive empty?

coolio 16:13 18 Aug 2003

I use it at work up to 10 times a day to restore OS's and have never had any problems.

If you're not sure still try Norton Ghost. Also very straight forward.

If your D: drive has enough empty space, you can put an image of the c: on no problem, use high compression to minimize the size.

That OK???

anniesboy68 16:25 18 Aug 2003

pj123...Using XP, and no, the D drive is not empty, I have various backing up files on it, there is plenty of room on it

anniesboy68 16:30 18 Aug 2003

Coolio...can the image go on a..say a DVD-R or CD-R disk

temp003 16:53 18 Aug 2003

Yes, Drive Image supports writable DVD (and definitely CDR). They have a list of supported optical drives. click here and click Compatible Drive List on the right.

pj123 17:02 18 Aug 2003

You could use a programme like Acronis (which was free on a recent coverdisk) you can image it to CDs, but it takes 6 or 7 CDs. Trying to "image" it to another hard disk, the disk needs to be empty otherwise the image will overwrite what it already on there.

anniesboy68 17:13 18 Aug 2003

pj123...Thanx, I won't bother, I don't want to lose whats on the D drive. Will have to stay with System Restore methinks. Although, come to think of it I could save all the D stuff to disk then put it back after drive image has done with the drive. Remember, it's a drive I'm thinking of saving to, not another hard disk! What do you think?

leo49 17:22 18 Aug 2003

Just to clarify things here as you seem to be under a misapprehension - Drive Image doesn't 'image' the whole drive, it creates an image file of the USED space.[and that image is compressed by up to 50%].

So, for example, if your C drive were 10 gb in total with 5gb used, then drive image will create an image file[at 50% compression] of 2.5gb. This file can be stored anywhere,other than the C drive, just like any other file.It can also be split-up during the creation process into CDR-sized chunks and burnt at once or later using, say, Nero.

Regards

-pops- 18:13 18 Aug 2003

It is wise not to backup to the same physcial entity as the item you are backing up, even though it may be a different partition.

If the drive curls its toes and dies ( quite possible with a mechanical device), you will be left with nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)