PowerLink speed: going, going... gone!

Tom K Hawkey 13:46 02 Apr 2018

Hi there,

I have recently moved into a new flat. My bedroom is the only place where there is a WiFi blackspot. I've bought a BT Essentials WiFi PowerLine 500 Kit to try to fix the problem. Initially, it seems great - connects up fine and when I run a speed test, my phone gives me speeds of around 35mb/s (which is a shade under what I get if I run the speed test when connected to the main router). However, when I then run the test again, it has already dropped to around 10mb/s, then drops again and hovers at around 3-5 mb/s.

Is there something obvious that might cause this? Is the main router somehow choking the speed? It seems strange that I can get such a high speed before it then plummets and bottoms out at a fraction of that speed.

Any advice is would be greatly appreciated!

Tom K Hawkey 14:05 02 Apr 2018

Update: I just logged on to the Virgin router, and it lists the PowerLink as a connected device with a speed of 1000mb/s, so it doesn't look like it is restricting it at all. I also plugged the PowerLink transmitter into the same room as the router. There was a similar results, though with a better bottomed-out speed (initial reading was 40mb/s, bottomed-out speed was between 10 and 12mb/s)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment bloquer les pop-up sur Android ?