Powerline networks

inneedofhelp 22:21 28 Aug 2005

Hi all,
I am going to install a network for my girlfriends parents and need some advice. Usually, as I did with my own house, I would go the wireless route, however, the parents house is too large to cover with wireless (Old house, very thick walls, 3 floors, etc) so this isnt an option. Nor is cables, as they dont want the unsighty mess of them, so I have been looking at powerline.

Does anyone out there have this is place, if so can you answer these.

Am i right in saying that the phone socket with the broadband connection connects to an adsl router, I then plug a powerline adaptor to one of the ports on the back, and this then distrubutes the broadband around the house via the mains. Then all i need to do is plug in an adaptor somewhere in the house, plug this into my pc/laptop ethernet port, and bobs your uncle.

Please, and advice, warnings, tips and hints would be usefull.Espec advice on make and models of gear to use.

inneedofhelp 15:16 29 Aug 2005

any ideas anyone

igk 15:47 30 Aug 2005

Google search here:
click here
Hope this helps...

BigMoFoT 15:58 30 Aug 2005

MIMO wireless networking?

A little more expensive for the hardware but very much improved - apparently..

click here

Aspman 16:57 30 Aug 2005

I've heard of powercable LANs but never seen them in practice. I would suspect that with teh price of wireless dropping and it being almost standard fitment in laptops that powercable networking might die off.

I understand the benefits of the tech but I would recommend you stick with good wireless gear. Tt's more likely to be futureproof that a niche product like powerline.

inneedofhelp 17:38 31 Aug 2005

i would go wireless, as i am very comfortable with that, but this house has 5 floors, was built over 100yrs ago, so the walls and floors are VERY thick, therefore i seriosly doubt wireless would work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?