Powering up a mobo

WhiteTruckMan 21:28 17 Jul 2006

I seem to have inherited a motley collection of assorted motherboards of unknown condition. I am loathe to simply bin them so I'm looking for a quick test to see if they are stuffed. would I be right in saying that if I just plugged a psu into a bare board then short the power pins for the case switch it should -if the board is healthy-at least power up the psu?I know it wouldnt be a guarantee that its ok, but a test for faulty? I really dont want to go to the hassle of keep assembling a minimum system.

WTM

skidzy 21:38 17 Jul 2006

This is going to be a bit cheeky WhiteTruckMan,il test a socket 478 mobo for you Lol,i have a dead system here and really want to get it up and running and i have been advised the mobo is dead as everything else has been replaced.

So if you have a spare kicking round,let me know LOl ha ha

I know !!!! cheeky git :-)

Regarding your question of shorting out the pins on the power supply,Fruitbat advised me of this trick...sadly i had no joy with that either,even with a new psu.

WhiteTruckMan 21:46 17 Jul 2006

LOL! so far they are all socket 462's. One actually powered up for about 30 seconds then fainted in my lap. I discovered a scorched and (very) hot spot underneath. still, I probably am accumulating a collection of mid-range cpu's that (probably) work. If I bin the boards I will save the cpus and laboriously put them in a working machine and test them that way. in themean time, any more ideas on the boards?

WTM

skidzy 22:19 17 Jul 2006

click here
click here

These may help WTM,but i reckon you already seen these.

WhiteTruckMan 22:46 17 Jul 2006

and stuff that I am familiar with, even though I hadnt seen those particular links (thanks, btw) but they are more to do with testing psu's, whereas the psu I am using for testing is a known good 'un

WTM

skidzy 23:06 17 Jul 2006

faulty motherboard both are impossible to check without either expensive equipment

Taken from: click here

Fruit Bat /\0/

Thu, 29/06/[email protected]:32

Hope this helps WTM

Have fun testing,at least you got a start with a decent PSU.

Good luck

WhiteTruckMan 00:01 18 Jul 2006

I havemanaged to rescue some good stuff. Fans never go out of style, and got a couple of good psu's as well. even got s cool looking case to transplant one of the kids machines into. plus assorted ribbon cables, screws etc. even when a board is pronounced dead, it gets stripped of jumpers before binning, as they are something that always flies out of my fingernails as they are swapped on drives. In fact I even have a bios battery in my cars remote 'blipper'.

And before anyone asks-yes,I AM cheap!

WTM

skidzy 00:10 18 Jul 2006

Your not cheap Mate (creep creep)

Im sure you got a 478 socket there somewhere WTM Lol
......... :-o

Good luck mate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?