Power Surge

  coyw 22:57 24 Feb 2010

I need an extension lead for my new PC and have been advised to invest in a power surge protection one.

What i dont understand is what type i need for a pc as i have read that some are only suitable for smaller items like kettles etc. Am i supposed to look at how many Joules it takes or the Maximum Spike Amperage?

How do i know what is best for my PC?


  northumbria61 23:37 24 Feb 2010

click here

Power Surge Protectors - too numerous to mention
but the above should be more than adequate. Read the Advantages/Features and Lifetime Warranty. Depending on your needs they come in many choices - ie: 4,6,8gang and different lead lengths.

  DieSse 00:27 25 Feb 2010

"....some are only suitable for smaller items like kettles"

Kettles are far, far higher powered than PCs.

Many top quality PC PSUs actually contain surge protection. The real answer though is to get one advertised as suitable for a PC. And best see if you can find one with a warranty against damage (in the form of insurance) that comes with it.

Example click here

  ardubbleyu 07:55 25 Feb 2010

IMO 'Surge Protection' powerstrips are not worth a look - as with everything, you get what you pay for. I wouldn't consider protecting a £1000+ rig with a £15 power strip...

  northumbria61 08:17 25 Feb 2010

As per DieSse comments - The one I suggested above does come with Lifetime Warranty AND Insurance against damage. It all depends on your budget. A Surge Protection power strip is better than nothing.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor 9 Lite review

18 Best Adult Colouring In Books 2018

HomePod review

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2018)