Power supply problems

prodway 21:55 18 Jan 2005

Hi,I have recently bought my 4th power supply in just over a year after my others have died.I dont want the same to happen to this 1.What usually happens is my wife turns the iron which then sometimes trips the electricity out in the house and if my computer was on it wont come back on again due to my power supplys not working.Iv also just bought a surgemaster from pc world,so hopfully that might help.
Is there anything i can do with my old one?Its a qtec PSU 500w big fan.Any ideas?Cheers Paul.

stalion 22:05 18 Jan 2005

I would definately get the iron checked sounds dangerous

Technotiger 22:09 18 Jan 2005

Hi, I definately agree with stalion, you MUST get that iron sorted - highly dangerous :-(

Your old psu might have an internal fuse to change, otherwise - dump it.

Cheers.

FelixTCat 22:59 18 Jan 2005

Ditto the above - sounds like a dangerously wired iron. You might also like to get an anti-surge plug/socket for the computer.

Sonic21 23:28 18 Jan 2005

Hi,

Yep get the iron changed if it keeps happening get an electrion in to check out ur house chuck the old one ive blown one before it will b no good.

Sonic21 23:53 18 Jan 2005

Hi,

Yep get the iron changed if it keeps happening get an electrion in to check out ur house chuck the old one ive blown one before it will b no good.

JACMAC 18:04 19 Jan 2005

Something in the house causing the power to trip will obviously lose power to the computer but this would not normally cause the Power Supply to burn out.
Note a Surgemaster is to prevent any VOLTAGE surges from killing the equipment. Turning off the power supply to the house would not normally cause such a large voltage surge.

Question.
Does it trip the whole house or just the ring main, leaving lights for example still working.
If not the whole house then try to use the computer on a different Fuse/Trip circuit.
As the others say though, buy your wife a new iron it's cheaper than power supplies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?