Power supply problem

JaymehSykes 09:32 11 Feb 2010

I have had my custom rig for around a year now with an atrix extreme power supply (650w). I decided to go out and buy another nvidia BFG 9600gt graphics card since I wanted to use SLI. My only problem is that my power supply only has 1 6 pin peg connector and I will need 2. Does this mean that I would need to go out and buy a new power supply or is there an adapter or something that I can use?

sunnystaines 09:36 11 Feb 2010

try your local maplins store they may have a connector they are very good with PSU attachments.

or online

click here

GaT7 10:20 11 Feb 2010

I just had a look at a review of your PSU & it has two +12V rails with only 14A & 15A on them - click here, page 3.

I don't think your PSU is capable of running 2x 9600GT cards & an adapter/converter as suggested by sunnystaines is not recommended. On the other hand, I could be wrong but I wouldn't chance it. If it was a quality PSU, then perhaps yes.

My suggestions would be:

This Be Quiet 530W PSU click here / click here, which has 2x dedicated +12V rails, each with 22A.

Or, this Enermax 425W PSU click here / click here, which also has the requisite 2x 6pin PCI-E connectors & enough on the +12V rails.

As you can see from the above couple of quality PSUs, it's not all about high wattage. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Explore Milton Glaser's iconic poster designs from the 1960s to present, including Bob Dylan, I…

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts