Power Supply Problem

  nodrog2 09:55 22 Aug 2003

I am getting no response when I try to power on my PC. It was working fine last night and when I tried to switch it on this morning it started to power up for a few seconds then just stopped. The same thing happened a second time and since then I can get no response from it at all.

The socket is live and switched on and everything else connected to that socket is working fine. Everything at the back is firmly connected. I have tried another power cable without any joy.

Any suggestions?

  sil_ver 10:14 22 Aug 2003

Most likely a duff power supply unit assuming the mains fuse has not blown.

  xania 10:21 22 Aug 2003

It sounds to me that your PSU is dead. A replacement is a good time to up the rating as well. You should be able to get a replacement from any good service place for under £40 or click here

  nodrog2 09:22 25 Aug 2003

It looks like it's going to have to be a new PSU then. Is it difficult to fit these things or should I be getting an expert to fit it for me?

  Rayuk 09:37 25 Aug 2003

Basic instructions/but I would remove all power cables from components before unscrewing power supply itself.
click here

You can decide then whether you would be confident enough to do it yourself.

  DieSse 09:39 25 Aug 2003

A Power Supply is extremely simple to fit, if it's a standard sort of case and computer. Problems may arise if you have some models of some of the larger manfacturers systems.

Also faulty motherboards can often give the symptoms you have - so you might think it's worth taking it to a local friendly shop, as presumably you won't be into swapping lots of parts to find out what the faulty one is.

Or you might be able to do a deal that you buy a PSU, then if it turns out not to be the problem, they will refund you as long as you let them do the rest of the troubleshooting.

You have to understand that nobody can trouleshoot with full confidence by remote control, and more than one thing can and does cause the symptoms you have.

My personal view would be 60% chance it's the motherboard, 30% it's the PSU, and 10% it's something else - just a warning about buying replacement parts too readily.

  jazzypop 09:45 25 Aug 2003

It's very simple, if you take it slow and easy.

Take the cover off of your PC, and make a note of where each wire that comes out of the existing PSU goes. It is a *really* good idea to draw a detailed diagram, if you are not familiar with where the power connectors go :)

Then follow the instructions at click here

Trust me, it is straightforward :)

The only real 'gotcha' is that some of the larger manufacturers (e.g. Dell, Compaq/HP) can use non-standard size PSUs. If you can remove the existing and take it to your local PCW, you will find that their 'brown box' range are pretty cheap, and you can compare the physical size of your existing with the new.

I would advise that you get a slightly higher rating than your existing, e.g. if your existing PSU is rated at 250Watts, go for a 300 or 350W - just to give a little extra margin.

The existing capacity will be clearly marked on the PSU.

  Rayuk 10:08 25 Aug 2003

Or if you have a digital camera take photos

  nodrog2 15:48 25 Aug 2003

Thanks for the various responses.

I am slightly alarmed about the prospect of the problem lying with the motherboard. Now that I think about it, I had been having trouble recently in getting my digital camera to download via the USB port. Is that a more significant pointer to the problem being with the motherboard rather than the PSU?

  Rayuk 16:04 25 Aug 2003

Not really, could be a red herring.
If you are at all unsure,can you borrow a power supply off a friend or take it to a local pc shop as Diesse suggests.
What motherboard do you have?

  nodrog2 13:12 12 Sep 2003

Got it fixed at last. It turns out that my "Tiny" extended warranty was still able to be used and Time have now fitted a new power supply unit AND motherboard to solve the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

3D illustrator Billelis on how to promote yourself on social media

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?