Power Supply or Video Card?

magoo92 13:09 26 Jul 2016

Hey guys,

So I have recently invested in a used computer but have ran into one small problem. After connecting the computer to my 55" TV through HDMI the computer turns on and seems to be working fine, but sometimes it fails to show up on the TV, and when it does it seems to freeze up after a few minutes of use.

I then tried to hook up the computer to a smaller TV through a VGA cable to see if this would solve the problem. It did seem to work a bit better being able to start up and show the picture more regularly and and took longer to freeze the computer.

Was just curious if any one has had this problem or if anyone knows if it would potentially be the power supply or video card that would be causing this problem. If I was made of money, I would simply invest in a new video card and power supply, but would like to to limit it to one or the other. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Ryan

wee eddie 14:30 26 Jul 2016

I'm not sure of this but, I get the impression that most of us use a Monitor rather than a TV to work with. TVs are not designed to be used as Computer Monitors

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:37 26 Jul 2016

Using a TV is fine, the picture is just not as sharp as a dedicated monitor.

Freezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans - speed fan will show temperatures

2. PSU voltages - speed fan will also show voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

5. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

magoo92 14:43 26 Jul 2016

Thanks Fruit Bat.

I recently reformatted and installed linux so I dont think virus or spyware should be a issue. I also ran the memory test at startup and came back with 100% test. As for when the computer freeze , the fans all seem to be plugging away. Im thinking it could quite possibly be the PSU so I will try to look up the voltages tonight and see what that shows me.

Thank you sir.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to Watch Mi Mix 4, Mi 9 Pro Live Stream: Xiaomi 24 September Event

The new World Cup logo: designers on how it scores against WC logos of old

iOS 13 Latest Version, Updates, Problems, Fixes, and New Features

Les meilleures séries OCS (2019)