Power supply for graphics card-connection

  aca 08:11 26 Dec 2004

Going to but 9800 pro. My existing psu is 400w so should be sufficient?

What type of power connection plug/cable will I need. From the PSU I can see a seperate connector attached to 1 red and 1 black wire. Connector looks like it will take 4 pins.

This looks like what I would plug in to card but wanted to be sure before I order.

Also are there any manufacturers I should steer clear of when buying card?


  €dstowe 08:20 26 Dec 2004

?? I'm mystified by this. Do you mean that the graphics card you intend buying does not obtain its power from the motherboard?

I may be wrong here but, all the computers I've had, and been involved with, do not need a separate power connection other than that from the multi-connection strip that plugs into the AGP (or PCI) socket on the motherboard.

  aca 08:33 26 Dec 2004

Yes as cards are getting more powerful they do require additional supply to that supplied by AGP slot off MB

  €dstowe 08:34 26 Dec 2004

Oh! Thanks for putting me right on that.

I still find it a bit odd though:-)

  ICF 08:35 26 Dec 2004

Most cutting edge cards get power via the power supply now.

This is a good card click here

  ICF 08:38 26 Dec 2004

Sorry the above link is wrong try this one click here

  €dstowe 09:04 26 Dec 2004

I confess I'm not at the "cutting edge" of computer developments - my needs are satisfied by more modest graphics cards.

ICF, I don't see any reference to a separate power requirement in the card that your link directs me to. Please don't go to a lot of trouble over this - I'm happy to accept your statements:-)

  Rayuk 10:11 26 Dec 2004

I think you will find that you need a molex power connector for the 9800Pro
Mine does,if you javnt got a spare ne on your power supply you can get a splitter cable for it.

  Rayuk 10:14 26 Dec 2004

I think one of the Nvidia cards now needs 2 molex connectors to supply the power to the card.

  Arthur Scrimshaw 11:07 26 Dec 2004

You should find the card comes with the cable you need, and with clear instructions how to fit it. Mine (for a 9700 pro) was a split feed to the hard drive and video card. As far as Manufacturers go - all are licenced by ATI so should be ok. Others may advise you differently from their own experiences.

  ACOLYTE 11:11 26 Dec 2004

Mine was actually on the mobo itself.But my PSU already had the part needed already built in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Brilliant (and Weird) World Cup 2018 Art and Design Projects

Best Android emulators for Mac

TV & Streaming : comment regarder Roland Garros ?