power on, screen stays black no power to mouse/kb

Evil Cookie 13:36 22 Sep 2019

Hey guys,

I was just doing stuff on my PC when it suddenly shut down completely. When I tried to start it again I got lights and fans and everything but nether my keyboard or mouse got any power and the monitor stood black.

Now I went a bit of digging and already tried the following:

• opened the pc and checked all the power cables and connections
  • cleaned any dust and checked if all fans and lights were working (which they did)
  • somebody said that the cable from the power supply to the CPU (it says CPU on it) is plugged in the wrong way. I checked but I can only plug it in in one certain way. So I guess mine is idiotproof or something.
  • I removed the power supply cable from my pc and held down the power botton for 30 sec to clean the ram (I did this multiple times and timed it each time with my phone)
  • I took out the ram and cleaned the connection with a rubber very carefuly

All of this did nothing. All fans and lights work, the harddrive starts making normal noises but the screen stays black. I did get an interesting result with the following though: I have 2 RAM slots. I took out the RAM from one and put it in alone into the other slot and started: My PC showed a power check on self screen and on the bottom it said something like "overclocking failed. Reconfigure bios settings". Shut it down, put in the second RAM and suddenly there is the old result with black screen.

Now this kinda leads me to believe that there is some bad memory stuck somewhere. I am now playing with the idea to shortly remove the motherboard battery to completely wipe the bios but I'm kinda scared to do it. Some people said that there can go a lot wrong when you drop the battery on the motherboard or do it wrong.

Can somebody help me or do you guys have any more ideas what i can do to troubleshoot?

Evil Cookie 14:11 22 Sep 2019

Update: I have two RAMs. Lets call them A and B. When I put in B in the slot where A was, I still get black screen. When i put in A where B was, I get the message about overclocking failing. When I then enter the Bios system, change nothing and just exit the settings menu my system boots fine with Windows starting etc. Does that mean that B is the problem? How do I clean the data from B alone?

Old Deuteronomy 15:07 22 Sep 2019

It looks like you have a faulty memory stick. Using one at a time, test each module in both slots to confirm.

How do I clean the data from B alone?

System RAM is volatile. As soon as power is cut all information is lost, it is impossible for it to retain any information.

somebody said that the cable from the power supply to the CPU (it says CPU on it) is plugged in the wrong way. I checked but I can only plug it in in one certain way. So I guess mine is idiotproof or something.

It is the same with all PSUs and motherboards, the plug can only go in the right way, unless you brutally force it.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

TikTok and how to use it for illustration success

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 11, 11 Pro et 11 Pro Max (2019)