Power lamp on but no life

max10 22:04 10 Nov 2009

I have a Dell tower case PC running win XP.
I recently switched it on and the power lamp comes on and there is a beep 6 times from a sounder on the motherboard and that's it. I get no busy lights or anything on the monitor. The power supply and processor fans are running and as far as i can tell all power supplies are healthy. I tried Dell but would'nt even start a diagnosis without a payment up front.
Has anybody any ideas.

tullie 22:08 10 Nov 2009

Have a feint suspicion that it may be a problem with a memory stick.

Technotiger 22:10 10 Nov 2009

Six beeps indicates a possible keyboard problem - can you try a different keyboard?

Forum Editor 22:13 10 Nov 2009

but without knowing which Dell machine you have (or the name of the BIOS (AMI or Phoenix etc.) I can't really help.

Six individual beeps on an AMI BIOS usually report a keyboard controller chip problem, but I'm in the dark without knowing more.

woodchip 22:44 10 Nov 2009

One of two things Graphics or Memory

max10 22:53 10 Nov 2009

The model of the PC is a DC8M if this helps.

max10 08:25 11 Nov 2009

The same symptoms appear when I only have the monitor connected, no other peripherals.

Technotiger 10:14 11 Nov 2009

The model number does not help I'm afraid.

Have you tried another keyboard? If your BIOS is AMI, then I would expect the problem to be as per Forum Editor's suggestion - keyboard controller chip on the mobo, which is why I said try another keyboard.

Looks like a trip to your local PC repairer is needed.

Quiller. 10:25 11 Nov 2009

It's always worth popping the cmos battery out for a couple of minutes, with the power cable taken out. Then pop the battery back in.

It costs nothing and is quick to do.

howard64 10:44 11 Nov 2009

as well as removing the battery there is normally a jumper on the motherboard which has to be moved from bridging pins 1 and 2 for normal operation to pins 2 and 3 to clear the cmos. Once done put the jumper back on pins 1 and 2. You move the jumper when the pc is disconnected from the mains supply.

woodchip 11:15 11 Nov 2009

Any of these click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)