Power and chassis fans 'below threshold'

InCog 15:57 17 Apr 2004

After a series of crashes due to overheating of the cpu (80 degrees plus), I have installed a new psu and two new fans. The computer works and so do the fans but now I get an error message from the ASUS utility probe s/ware that the chassis and power fans are 'below threshold'. Does anyone know what this means and is it important?

hugh-265156 16:05 17 Apr 2004

did the new fans all have three wires or two?

the third wire is a sensor.

InCog 16:08 17 Apr 2004

They came with three and four pin connectors but no other wires.

hugh-265156 16:21 17 Apr 2004

how many wires though.

if they only have two wires they will not have a sensor to detect the speed of rotation.

they should have three if they have a sensor built in.

it wont do any harm but means you have no way of monitoring the speed of the fans apart from visual.

InCog 16:30 17 Apr 2004

If by wires you mean groups of wires, then are just two sets - one set plugs into the m/board, the other with four pins into a cable from the psu. The fans work so I suppose that's enough. Thanks for your help.

hugh-265156 16:34 17 Apr 2004

um..no i mean how many wires come from one of the fans for example.

look at one of the fans,how many wires has it got coming out of it? two or three?

:-)

InCog 18:01 17 Apr 2004

It has three individual wires

InCog 18:07 17 Apr 2004

I think I've worked out what you mean! I plugged one of the three pin connector plugs into the m/board and it now recognises the fan and records the temp. There doesn't seem to be anywhere for the other fan's connector but it's progress.

hugh-265156 18:18 17 Apr 2004

yay!

if you have changed the cpu fan/chipset fan etc there should be a motherboard connector beside or close to it for these to connect up to.this will give you a read out as above.

most ordainary case fans usually dont have sensors so just connect to the psu directly.

officer trolly 21:20 11 May 2005

Hi,
I had a noisy 92mm case fan with three wires - white red and black, which plugged into the motherboard on a 3-pin connector.
I just bought a new Vantec SF9225l as a direct replacement (quieter spec too) and it too has 3 wires (but yellow, black, red). On starting up the pc the fan works OK, but the pc goes to dos blackscreen, saying 'Chassis Fan is abnormal!' and '<F2> to run SETUP'.
In setup I can find one setting under 'Power' called Chassis Fan, with only two options, and changing the setting (disabled or a fan speed which comes up in red) makes no difference.
Any ideas please?

Thanks

officer trolly 21:37 11 May 2005

Looking at the dates and status of this string, I think I will set this up as a new posting!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?