Pound sign inserted into sent email

John Rollason 15:18 14 Aug 2018

Hi - I am sending emails from a Go daddy alias/business email address. I quote pound amounts using Office 365 in the email body but on being received the pound sign has been replaced by ? symbol. Is anybody able to fix this annoying glitch. Thanks to everyone.

difarn 17:26 15 Aug 2018

The comments on the Microsoft Community site may give you an idea of what is happening. Probably an encoding problem. There are some suggestions to follows.

click here

John Rollason 20:22 15 Aug 2018

Thanks Difarn.

MJS WARLORD 21:48 15 Aug 2018

check region and language settings , some updates reset your pc to us English on both general typing and web searches , example , press shift and the key showing @ symbol on it , if it don't print @ then a Microsoft update has changed language pack , you can redownload uk English pack from the region page settings

Gordon Freeman 09:50 16 Aug 2018

Not a fix to the problem, but as a workaround until MS get their act together, rather than use '£' sign, use 'GBP'.

MJS WARLORD 19:00 16 Aug 2018

I have word 2007 but this should work for you to get quick access to £ sign.

choose word options at top left , customise , change command line at top to insert tabs , click on insert symbol in list to add it to tool bar , their is a £ sign in there .

some forum reply boxes act up a lot so I type in word then copy/paste to where I want the text eg .. email or " fill in the box pages"

lotvic 20:03 16 Aug 2018

It depends on the font and coding you send and the font and coding of the recipient. As per Gordon Freeman says, rather than use '£' sign, use 'GBP'.

John Rollason 07:09 20 Aug 2018

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Mac : comment forcer la fermeture d’une application ?