Possibly going broadband

brian132 06:47 23 May 2003

Had a phone call from BT to say that my local exchange is going broadband in about two months time and inviting me to sign up with them _ I didn't ! I checked that this was correct on their site- yes, it is. It also provided a page where I could check whether my PC can take broadband, but it would not open it.My PC is a Fujitsu Siemens Euroline bought in Feb 2001. Is theree any other website which will allow me to check my PC?
I would also like to know of a site which would give me unbiased views on the best options on broadband. Thank you.

AndySD 06:56 23 May 2003

If you tell us the specs of your pc we can tell you....if you dont know them this small free program will tell you click here

AndySD 07:02 23 May 2003

click here or click here are two sites to look at.

Valvegrid 07:05 23 May 2003

You don't mention the spec of your machine, but if you bought it just a couple of years ago it should be more than adequate, provided you have either a Network Interface Card (NIC) or a USB port. If you don't you can get these cards and install them and they are dead cheap these days.

As a matter of interest I use a creaky old machine that's 7 years old with 98M RAM 330M processor with a NIC card plus 98SE and it goes like lightning on 128k, NTL gave us 600k for a couple of weeks and the machine went even faster still, thought it might rattle all the bolts, but it didn't.

Go for it!

Paul.

brian132 07:12 23 May 2003

Thanks ,guys, you have given me what I need

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts