Possible virus

cfcnick 22:11 26 Mar 2004

Hi there

I do regular virus checks and scans and have McAfee running on my PC but I think that I have got a virus in my e-mail. I have a hotmail account, and have had for quite a few years now, but just recently have started getting 1 or 2 e-mails a day from the 'postmaster' telling me that I have sent out an e-mail containing a virus. These e-mails appear to be sent to people I don't know and have not (that I know of) sent any e-mail to ever.

Apart from continuing with the usual scans, I use ad-aware and spy sweeper, is there any other way that I can trace this problem?

Thanks in advance

Nick

VoG II 22:21 26 Mar 2004

Your address has been spoofed. Relax.

cfcnick 22:45 26 Mar 2004

Thanks

GaT7 22:58 26 Mar 2004

If you don't already use programs like MailWasher, ePrompter or POP Peeper to pre-check your e-mail before downloading to your PC they come well recommended.

For MailWasher click here, ePrompter click here & POP Peeper click here. Ever since I started using them about 6 months ago I haven't had a single e-mail virus. All the programs (mentioned above) let you preview your messages & you can delete all dodgy/spam/unwanted messages directly off the server before they even reach your PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)