Pop-ups

bluto1 21:07 13 Oct 2006

Every time Avast updates I get this pop-up and an American voice (can`t be Uncle Bill) telling me that Avast is updating, followed by a further pop-up in the middle of my screen detailing what`s been added. I`ve had a look in the archives for an answer to this intrusive problem without success. Can anyone give me the remedy to getting rid of this. All help appreciated.

Kate B 21:11 13 Oct 2006

I don't use Avast so I'm only guessing but there must be an option somewhere in the Preferences or Options to turn it off.

Jackcoms 21:23 13 Oct 2006

To turn off sounds:

In Avast go to Settings; Sounds and tick 'Disable Avast Sounds'.

I assume the pop-up you refer to is the blue one from the Task Bar to confirm that the latest anti-virus definition has been installed.

I can't find a way to turn it off; but I would have thought it a good thing to know when Avast has been updated.

Jackcoms 21:29 13 Oct 2006

Found it! To turn OFF the pop-up after an auto update:

Go to Settings; Update (Basic). Click on 'Details' and un-tick the 'Show sliding box after Automatic Update' box.

bluto1 21:33 13 Oct 2006

You`re quite right about knowing when the update is made, but when I`m typing up to 100 and more pages a day it`s quite intrusive and it interrupts the thought pattern.

bluto1 21:36 13 Oct 2006

I`ll give it a go. I`m a slow typist so our messages crossed. Honestly!

bluto1 21:42 13 Oct 2006

Many thanks, now we`ll have to wait for the next update. Cheers.

Jackcoms 21:45 13 Oct 2006

now we`ll have to wait for the next update"

Ah, but if you've turned off sounds and turned off pop-ups how will you know when it's been been updated?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?