pop ups

Jane doe 19:11 28 Dec 2003

Hi lads. Been away from my puter over the hols but now when I got it switched on I keep getting pop ups. It says they are from Messenger Service. If I close them down a bigger one pops up. I cant get rid of them at all. Now I dont have msn messenger installed I removed it ages ago following the advice given in here. I also have a pop up blocker running but it still happens so I reckon its some kind of malicious code Ive picked up somehow when I downloaded my 100+ emails, mostly spam. How do I get rid of it please? Ive run adaware and spybot but its still there. Thanks Jayne.

VoG II 19:13 28 Dec 2003
  Jane doe 19:26 28 Dec 2003

Thanks VoG I have downloaded the file and clicked disable messenger service...but the pop ups are still there....or do I have to reboot or something? Thanks and happy Holidays. Jayne.

Jane doe 19:35 28 Dec 2003

Hi again VoG. In task manager I have found that csrss is the culprit. If I click end process it just starts a pop up attack again and I get the message THIS IS A CRITICAL SERVICE AND CANNOT BE SHUTDOWN. Under Applications it does say that messenger 'is running in background' but I thought I had got rid of MSN ages ago. I remember typing in a line of code that someone sent me with disable on the end to get rid of it. Or am I missing something here? Thanks Jayne.

Indigo 1 19:55 28 Dec 2003

There are many ways to stop pop-ups, I use Zone Alarm which is a firewall click here

You can also use the free Naviscope which is an excellent browser accelerator (IMHO) click here

VoG II 20:02 28 Dec 2003

To remove Windows Messenger Remove Windows Messenger

1. Click on the Start button and select Run.
2. Type:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

in the text box and click OK. You will see a progress bar appear shortly as it deletes its files and it will then ask you to reboot. After the reboot the program will be gone.

Jane doe 20:09 28 Dec 2003

Indigo 1 thanks but I have zonealarm installed
VoG thanks again have done as you said and rebooted and its gone. Thanks. XX Have a good new year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)