poor Far Cry graphics

Davideng 19:23 29 Nov 2004

I have recently upgraded my PC with a Ath 64 3400+ cpu , 512 ddr memery and an xfx 6800 gt .My pc has scored 59500k on aquamark, is this good ? my pc knowledge is not that good to be honest .Today I have installed "Far Cry " on my pc and the graphics are poor , the ground is black and flat with no texture .Also everything is very bright .I have downloaded the latest driver from nvidea for my gpu and Far Cry still is rubbish . Can anybody suggest anything and please if you have advice for me dumb it down to a "Homer Simpson " level as my pc knowledge really is that poor !!!

Thanx Dav

joesoaps 19:32 29 Nov 2004

but have you got the game running on the high graphics setting,if you haven't already done so set the game to run at the lowest video setting and see what happens.To be honest your system should be more than capable of running the game.

Dorsai 19:41 29 Nov 2004

Not really a gamer, me.

In the open/first screen of the game is there a 'display', 'graphics' or 'options' menu/button?

Somewhere in the game there will be the ability to 'fiddle' with the way it displays the picture. It sounds to me like the game has chosen to display the image in the most basic (lowest resolution) way possible. This will be fast, but look bad. Given your PC spec's you should be able to 'turn it up loads' to make a better quality picture, and your PC/graphics gard should be more than able to do this, no hassle.

PSF 20:00 29 Nov 2004

A lot of games start at 640x480 screen resolution. Try setting it to 1024x769x32. Then go to the settings and set details to high or even highest. That should cure the problem.

Starfox 00:46 30 Nov 2004

There is a known problem with Far Cry and nVidea graphics cards but it does not usually show up until the later levels(Rebellion)but your posting describes the problem exactly.

click here to go to the Far Cry patches site and click on official download site,but beware its a big download if your'e on dialup 1hour33mins (24mb).

click here for a direct link to the download site.

Hope this helps,it cured my problems.

Starfox

Starfox 00:48 30 Nov 2004

click here for the direct link

BITS&BOBS 09:45 30 Nov 2004

YES YOU NEED PATCH 1.3 FOR 6800 GT SHADER 3.0 SUPPORT I HAD EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM WAIT UNTIL YOU GET THAT PATCH IT IS AMAZING!!! ALSO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST FORCEWARE DRIVERS click here

Urotsukidoji 10:20 30 Nov 2004

already been advised by starfox and bitsnbobs, might also be worth updating your direct x also.

and just for the fun of it ...

HL2 is better! ;o)

let the flames begin!

lol

GibsonSt19 10:25 30 Nov 2004

But it doesn't have that beautiful lush greenery like Far Cry, and no awesome dynamic lighting like Doom III.

I'm enjoying it though, and getting through Ravenholm was a welcomed accomplishment.

Davideng 14:28 01 Dec 2004

It is now fixed and running like a 50 grand Rolex

NinkyRudes 15:51 30 Mar 2005

The 1.0 -> 1.3 patch for Far Cry makes it look and run like a different game. BITS&BOBS got it bang on - the original support for Pixel Shader 3.0 was buggy, a problem that was partially improved by v1.1 & 1.2, but those patches added a new list of problems.

Whilst the 1.3 retail patch is the most stable, the game does retain a few glitches, but it looks absolutely fantastic, especially on the higher end GeForce 6 cards.

Happy gaming!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?