Please help: Port 8095 issues and speeds

Richard-1358437 09:12 11 Jun 2009

Hi guys,

Newbie alert i'm afraid.

I've been having probs with my internet speeds for well over a month now. However, I seem to have drilled it down to not being anything to do with my ISP or telephone line.

The basics: i'm on Virgin ADSL with a max of 2mb connection. For well over 2 years now I have had a solid 1.8 download speed (checked thanks to the speedtest at thinkbroadband.com) on their Port 8095 test. Never had any problems.

Then, whilst playing Call of Duty 4 on a German server (i'm in UK), on which I always got around a 40 - 60 ping, I started getting 150 to 250 ping. No slowdown on websites though. So ran the speedtest and now I get 0.1mb download all times day/night. But if I run with the Port 80 option ticked, then i'm back to my old speeds again.

Checked with Virgin and i'm not being speed throttled, took my PC to a friends house who has an 8mb BT Business connection via a network (so not on my USB modem), and got exactly the same results - 0.1mb download. But again on the Port 80 option, I get much faster speeds (equivalent to what my mate gets normally)

I have even reformatted and reinstalled Vista 32, ran the speedtest without my AVG firewall turned on but still to no avail!!!

I cannot think of anything I have downloaded that has made a change outside of the usual Vista updates.

Sorry for the long post, but please any ideas would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Richard-1358437 08:10 12 Jun 2009

BUMP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?